Monday Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Hope all is having a great Holiday Weekend. Due to various constraints it became prudent to do my cooking today. Actually started out last night on two smallish (6-7) pound Boston Butts, John Morrell brand unpumped I think. Shot em to the gills with FAB C which is prob about the same amount of years old as the butt weight stuck em in the trash bag and into the ice box. This morn did just like the yankee taught me. Slathered with mustard and rub (Omaha Steaks brand which the eldest male chillins brought me here while back..its a big sack o sample packs. So far have used it on burgers and the warden made a killer meat loaf out of it figger it prob taste purty good on hawg meat too) and waited 10 mins and misted it with apple cider and all the mostly freshly ground black peppa it would hold...waited another 10 mins and misted it with cider yet again and packed it all the brown sugar it would hold and then another rest. They are both currently chuckling away in Old Sparky under the influence of hickory chunks and pee can branches. Even noted a small dead branch on the apple tree with also got stuffed in there. Figger to wrap one at 170 and cook the other plumb nekked and pushing them together when the golden hour arrives. Thinking of a thin finishing type sauce to moisten and flavor it up a a bit after it gets pulled. Anybody got any secret recipes for that kinda stuff? Ya know the kind where its sauced but the judges dont realize it? Thanks.

bigwheel

Yeppers hope it turn out ok. I got some brats just in case everybody pig out on the pig too heavy. I dont like folks to leave my house still being hongry.

bigwheel

Well fortunantly they was invisible. Took the top wrapped one off when it poked tenderish and measured 200 on each end. It took forever for the middle to catch up wanting to stay hung on 180. Guessing that where the bottom hunk blocks of the heat to the bottom of the top meat. Finally caught up and went into the hotbox. Moved the bottom (nekked one) up to the top rack and thought I was gonna need a spatula to move it. That thing feels like a bowl of jelly when I stick it and it only showing 180 on the gauge and has refused to give up the bone. I think it must be some kind of Arkieville hawg which don't want to act normal.

bigwheel

Hang in there BW. Even a coon dog has to back out and take a breath before jumping back into the fight.
I had a butt this weekend that would not go past 183, poked in several places with three different probes, grabbed the bone and it came out. Hmmm. Must be done.

I bet if you was to yank that sucker and wrap it and let it rest it would be just perfect in about an hour. Leave it on too long and it will dry up. But you know that...

Well thanks for the tips and encouragement. After 7 hrs in the heat the nekked beastes finally got to 200ish died and coughed up the bone. Wrapped is as instructed and stuck it in the hotbox along with the other which had got done about 3 hrs. earlier and let em swelter a bit. Just pushed them together and the verdict is in. Yeppers...they grand prize winners just as we planned:) Tell ya that black peppa and brown sugar do give that outside meat a nice zing. The leftover juice from the wrapped one (spiked it with a little cider and rub before sealing it up) worked good to moisten and flavor up the whole batch. Everybody is eating it like greedy little piglets. Hawgs are cannibals ya know? Figgered that out when the fella gave me the little pig who loved to eat baloney sandwiches.

bigwheel

Glad you got out and did something today.. It feels good right? Sounds like a great time at the JW household :D

bigwheel said:
Yeppers hope it turn out ok. I got some brats just in case everybody pig out on the pig too heavy. I dont like folks to leave my house still being hongry.

bigwheel

I got a feelin' Nobody ever leaves your house hongry bigwheel :roll: Sounds like another great feed!

8)

Yep everybody got purty full and even had enough left to make up a few dawgy bags. Taking some to my old yankee Iowan buddy this morning. Them other butts in the pics looks real good too. It just hard to mess up a butt I guess. Surely a cheap way to feed a large group.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom