Mock Pastrami/Appetizer Style Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay, I went and bought a 5.5lb Corned Beef Brisket in my effort to make something close to pastrami. I realize they are two different "animals" but they are very similar too. Its soaking in plain water in the fridge now, to reduce the sodium content a bit. I am gonna change the water once before I go to bed and then first thing in the morning. I'm gonna keep this one simple and make adjustments if needed on the next one. The only thing I am gonna do to this one as far as seasoning is to coat generously with fresh ground black pepper. Gonna cook between 225-235*, until I get an internal temp of 180*. I was thinking of cooking to a lower internal temp, but this one has a decent fat cap to help keep it moist. Then foil and let rest for a bit until time to slice. If I wasn't so impatient I'd like to let it sit in the fridge overnight prior to slicing, but I won't wait that long.

Once the Corned Beef is done I am throwing on some salmon fillets using this recipe off of TVWBB. It is fantastic and super easy. The only thing I change in the recipe, is I omit the savory. Even if you don't like salmon or fish, you must try this recipe! The couple times I have done it I have used 1 big hickory chunk and it's worked perfectly fine. Not too much smoke at all.

I can vouch for the good recipe on the salmon. I used it for my successful fish cook a few weeks back...good luck, Larry!

I've never done the salmon thing, guess I'll have to try. I love fish, just a little afraid to try it on the smoker.

Just learned that reuben are made from corned beef, not pastrami!
Oh well, if pastrami is just smoked corn beef, I'll have a smoked reuben!

Fire in the Hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:supz: :supz: :supz:

Captain Morgan said:
I've never done the salmon thing, guess I'll have to try. I love fish, just a little afraid to try it on the smoker.

Just learned that reuben are made from corned beef, not pastrami!
Oh well, if pastrami is just smoked corn beef, I'll have a smoked reuben!

Fire in the Hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:supz: :supz: :supz:

I coulda told ya that! Corned beef, sauerkraut and thousand island on pumpernickel bread! OMG dat's good stuff!

Corned beef, sauerkraut and thousand island on pumpernickel bread! OMG dat's good stuff
Larry, you are just full of great ideas. I just openend my last jar of sauerkraut yesterday and ate it with perogies, sour cream and steamed sausage (no bacon bits though :cry:). I know what I'm eating for lunch tomorrow. ;) thnx

On the salmon thing, I like that recipe too. I omit the savoury. One time I sprinkled on a bit of dehydrated minced onion right before it went into the smoker. Kinda pressed it in gently. Most of it stayed in place and browned a bit. I like to cook the salmon quite a while for that recipe till it starts getting dry.

Shawn I am really looking forward to making the salmon this time. It is the first time I've made it since I've had my foodsaver! I froze alot of the salmon before, double wrapped in AF then in a freezer bag. But it just did not taste the same once I thawed it as it did when it was fresh. Hopefully with the FS, it will taste as good two months from now as it did when it was fresh.

Just changed the water in the corned beef, waiting for it to warm up and some of the snow to melt before I go out and shovel a path to the WSM. Salmons almost completely thawed and ready for filleting! Pic's will be coming soon!

I froze alot of the salmon before, double wrapped in AF then in a freezer bag. But it just did not taste the same once I thawed it as it did when it was fresh. Hopefully with the FS, it will taste as good two months from now as it did when it was fresh.
I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts on how well the salmon fared in FS bags. I haven't bought salmon since late summer (before I had my FS). I stumbled across some of it on my voyage to the bottom of the freezer a couple of weeks ago. Just in plastic baggies and freezer burned as you can imagine. Bummer.

I'm doing side ribs today, I think I'll go pull that salmon out and cook it up after the ribs come off, it ain't gonna get any better sitting in the freezer.

Just pulled the salmon out of the brine, rinsed and coated with black pepper. They are in the fridge drying and waiting for the pastrami to finish!

BTW, the corned beef is at 142, pit temps at 235. Three hours into the cook so far.

Captain Morgan said:
Man those are the kind of beefs I wanted! All I got was a measly little (LITTLE) from Sam's. I coated mine heavier though.

Hey Cappy that is what Food Lion called the "flat cut". It is actually the flat and the point, I separated them. The point is the one that looks like Africa. I can't wait to eat mine tonight! I can't believe you are going to let yours set until Tuesday to share with your friends! What kinda person are you???????

I started at Food Lion, and then went to Sams...bout the same down here....course St. Paddy's Day is a comin, and there'll be plenty o cheap beef!

Back
Top Bottom