Mock Pastrami/Appetizer Style Salmon - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Mock Pastrami/Appetizer Style Salmon

Okay, I went and bought a 5.5lb Corned Beef Brisket in my effort to make something close to pastrami. I realize they are two different "animals" but they are very similar too. Its soaking in plain water in the fridge now, to reduce the sodium content a bit. I am gonna change the water once before I go to bed and then first thing in the morning. I'm gonna keep this one simple and make adjustments if needed on the next one. The only thing I am gonna do to this one as far as seasoning is to coat generously with fresh ground black pepper. Gonna cook between 225-235*, until I get an internal temp of 180*. I was thinking of cooking to a lower internal temp, but this one has a decent fat cap to help keep it moist. Then foil and let rest for a bit until time to slice. If I wasn't so impatient I'd like to let it sit in the fridge overnight prior to slicing, but I won't wait that long.

Once the Corned Beef is done I am throwing on some salmon fillets using this recipe off of TVWBB. It is fantastic and super easy. The only thing I change in the recipe, is I omit the savory. Even if you don't like salmon or fish, you must try this recipe! The couple times I have done it I have used 1 big hickory chunk and it's worked perfectly fine. Not too much smoke at all.

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Web Celeb

I can vouch for the good recipe on the salmon. I used it for my successful fish cook a few weeks back...good luck, Larry!

Old 02-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #3

I've never done the salmon thing, guess I'll have to try. I love fish, just a little afraid to try it on the smoker.

Just learned that reuben are made from corned beef, not pastrami!
Oh well, if pastrami is just smoked corn beef, I'll have a smoked reuben!

Fire in the Hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
I've never done the salmon thing, guess I'll have to try. I love fish, just a little afraid to try it on the smoker.

Just learned that reuben are made from corned beef, not pastrami!
Oh well, if pastrami is just smoked corn beef, I'll have a smoked reuben!

Fire in the Hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I coulda told ya that! Corned beef, sauerkraut and thousand island on pumpernickel bread! OMG dat's good stuff!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Corned beef, sauerkraut and thousand island on pumpernickel bread! OMG dat's good stuff
Larry, you are just full of great ideas. I just openend my last jar of sauerkraut yesterday and ate it with perogies, sour cream and steamed sausage (no bacon bits though ). I know what I'm eating for lunch tomorrow. thnx

On the salmon thing, I like that recipe too. I omit the savoury. One time I sprinkled on a bit of dehydrated minced onion right before it went into the smoker. Kinda pressed it in gently. Most of it stayed in place and browned a bit. I like to cook the salmon quite a while for that recipe till it starts getting dry.
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:32 PM   #6

Shawn I am really looking forward to making the salmon this time. It is the first time I've made it since I've had my foodsaver! I froze alot of the salmon before, double wrapped in AF then in a freezer bag. But it just did not taste the same once I thawed it as it did when it was fresh. Hopefully with the FS, it will taste as good two months from now as it did when it was fresh.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #7

Just changed the water in the corned beef, waiting for it to warm up and some of the snow to melt before I go out and shovel a path to the WSM. Salmons almost completely thawed and ready for filleting! Pic's will be coming soon!
Old 02-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #8

yeah Larry i switched water before I went bed, and am getting ready to do it again.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
I froze alot of the salmon before, double wrapped in AF then in a freezer bag. But it just did not taste the same once I thawed it as it did when it was fresh. Hopefully with the FS, it will taste as good two months from now as it did when it was fresh.
I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts on how well the salmon fared in FS bags. I haven't bought salmon since late summer (before I had my FS). I stumbled across some of it on my voyage to the bottom of the freezer a couple of weeks ago. Just in plastic baggies and freezer burned as you can imagine. Bummer.

I'm doing side ribs today, I think I'll go pull that salmon out and cook it up after the ribs come off, it ain't gonna get any better sitting in the freezer.
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #10

Okay, just put the Corned Beef on the smoker. The only thing I did was coat it liberally with black pepper.

Corned Beef#1

« BBQ Spa? | Bay Leaf »