Mock Pastrami/Appetizer Style Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niagara River Smoker said:
That's a Dagwood sandwich! :) You made 2, right?? :-D

Sure I gotta nuff for another one!

Captain Morgan said:
What was the temp when you pulled the pastrami?

Pulled it off at 170 and let rest for about an hour wrapped in foil, Cappy.

Shawn White said:
Gotta hand it to ya Larry, it looks fantastic. I'm gonna have to try me some pastrami, that sandwich looks awesome! :smt023 =P~

Thanks Shawn! Turned out very good, not sure I'd change anything next time or not. Can't wait to try a piece in the morning after it's set over nite in the fridge.

Susan Z said:
Oh, man! Now I'm hungry AGAIN!

Larry, that looks like an awesome sammitch! But that ain't the Guinness with the rocket widget in it, is it? You know, the draft bottle.

Whattsup wit dat?

:smt102

But as long as you've saved some for ME.... :partyman:

I don't care for the "Draught" Guinness. Too creamy! Plus it's not a full 12oz, so I feel I am getting jipped!

Enjoying a piece of the cold pastrami this morning, and it is even better after sitting in the fridge overnight! Next time I do this, I'm gonna do alot more cause this stuff ain't gonna last long the way I'm eating it!

The salmon turned out great too.

Larry Wolfe said:
Enjoying a piece of the cold pastrami this morning, and it is even better after sitting in the fridge overnight! Next time I do this, I'm gonna do alot more cause this stuff ain't gonna last long the way I'm eating it!

Larry...once again your finished product looks awesome...except for the guinness?? :-D I am not going to post any pics anymore! You're to good man!! :shock:

Pastrami and cornbeef taste different?? :?

Susan Z said:
Too creamy!?
I think so, I prefer the Extra Stout!

Greg Rempe said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2srwyrhg]Enjoying a piece of the cold pastrami this morning, and it is even better after sitting in the fridge overnight! Next time I do this, I'm gonna do alot more cause this stuff ain't gonna last long the way I'm eating it!

Larry...once again your finished product looks awesome...except for the guinness?? :-D I am not going to post any pics anymore! You're to good man!! :shock:

Pastrami and cornbeef taste different?? :?[/quote:2srwyrhg]

Greg you're too kind! Well from what I've read about the differences in Pastrami vs. Corned Beef is minimal. They both use the same brine ingredients, and both are "Corned Beef" at some point. The main difference being the pastrami is smoked with a rub generally made from kosher salt, paprika, coriander, brown sugar, black & white peppercorns, mustard seeds and garlic. And corned beef is slow cooked using pickling spices. I chose just to go with the black pepper coating for my first go around just for simplicity.

Do they taste different? Yes

ok Larry, the poker boys are going to upset with you....I just sliced the mock pastrami, threw some on the Foreman, then buttered 2 pieces of rye (my store had it!)

Then I pulled the warmed pastrami off and built the sandwich...kraut, thousand island, beef.....threw the whole thing back on the foreman, and gave it a little pannini type press....

crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside....was that good?

Yep...could have been better....

I would have liked a little sharper flavor on the meat. Was it the wood smoke (I used hickory and apple). Will add more garlic and some red pepper next time just to spice it up a bit.

Larry's right about the thin slices....thinner the better. I've got an electric slicer, and I wish I'd set it thinner. Lesson learned.

I'll say this,..if I can get this for 2 bucks a pound and improve the meat flavor just a little, I'll be doing this often! Very simple process!

Captain Morgan said:
ok Larry, the poker boys are going to upset with you....I just sliced the mock pastrami, threw some on the Foreman, then buttered 2 pieces of rye (my store had it!)

Then I pulled the warmed pastrami off and built the sandwich...kraut, thousand island, beef.....threw the whole thing back on the foreman, and gave it a little pannini type press....

crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside....was that good?

Yep...could have been better....

I would have liked a little sharper flavor on the meat. Was it the wood smoke (I used hickory and apple). Will add more garlic and some red pepper next time just to spice it up a bit.

Larry's right about the thin slices....thinner the better. I've got an electric slicer, and I wish I'd set it thinner. Lesson learned.

I'll say this,..if I can get this for 2 bucks a pound and improve the meat flavor just a little, I'll be doing this often! Very simple process!

I was pretty happy with the flavor of the one I did using 4 small pieces of hickory. But I found a "Pastrami Rub Recipe" we might want to try next time to "spice" things up a bit. I may do two after St. Pattys Day, one with this rub and one just with the black pepper like this time. Check this out. I copied this off the internet last night and cannot find it again, in order to give proper credit to the chef. Actually sounds pretty tasty.

If you are interested in turning corned beef into pastrami, well this is the rub for you. Make sure it is worked in good and thick before you head for the smoker.
INGREDIENTS:

5 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon white peppercorns
8 cloves garlic, minced
PREPARATION:

Combine coriander seeds, peppercorns and mustard seeds in a spice grinder. Grind coarsely. Add in remaining ingredients and mix well. Rub is now ready to use. It may be stored refrigerated in an airtight container.

Burnt Food Dude said:
[quote="The Joker":2jygosxu][quote="Larry Wolfe":2jygosxu]Okay foiled the Corned Beef and it's resting now.

Threw on the salmon, figure they should be done in about 2 1/2- 3 hours.

Salmon

Salmon2

Salmon3
These are gone too!!! :eek:[/quote:2jygosxu]

They were so good sombody ate 'em![/quote:2jygosxu]
Well Griff has been teasing us with his salmon fishing trips and I remembered that Bruce did some salmon earlier this year, sooooo.... I went researching on the board this morning ~ A bunch of Larry's pics are gone now..Found Bruce's though! Shawn's too. =P~

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom