mini brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
The Giant store had a few small briskets on sale last week, so I picked up a 3.5-lb one, about the right size for the two of us. After almost forgetting that it was in the basement fridge, yesterday I rubbed it with Texas BBQ Rub brisket blend and put it in the WSM at 9:15 am. I kept the fire slow, about 190-200°, for about 8 hours, then, when the meat temp was 143°, brought it up to normal 230-260° range. I watched the ET-73 remote (those things work great!) for hours while the meat was stalled at 169° (cooker holding at 263-266°); I decided that once it started moving again I would foil, and after foiling, it finished cooking in the next hour and a half. I took it off at 10:45 pm, internal temp 198°, wrapped it in towels and an old chenille bedspread, and left it to rest in the Coleman cooler overnight. This morning Jody and I snuck a taste -- mmm, tender, moist -- sealed it in a food saver bag, and put it in the fridge. This evening I heated it in boiling water and served it with acorn squash and jasmine rice (love my new rice cooker!). It was a perfectly tender, moist, good-flavored brisket. The only thing I would purposely change next time is to use less rub.

--John 8)

Edit: Corrected transposed numbers on ET-73, and one more thought, next time will probably be a night cook.

Diva Q said:
Looks like a feast!

Unity said:
(love my new rice cooker!)

What rice cooker do you have?
You know, I've wished for decades that I could justify a rice cooker, but it just seemed such an extravagance, and I figured, heck, I've got pans, rice'll cook in pans, won't it? I just kept rationalizing that it was too expensive, even though when we were in Japan (with the U.S. Army) way back in the 60s, all the Japanese people we knew -- none of them well-to-do -- had rice cookers. Well, we went to a Thai restaurant a couple of weeks ago, and their rice was so good that it propelled me to eBay as soon as we got home.

I bought a little Zojirushi NS-KCC05 (Japan-, not China-made), a 3-cup size (6-oz "cups"), which works okay for two people. But I realized that when Jody's mom comes to stay with us over the summer, it's not going to be big enough. I may go for a 10-cup version later. This one doesn't have the latest thing, induction heating, but it is programmable for different kinds of rice or porridge, and you can set it to have rice (or oatmeal, or whatever) ready when you get home or get up. There are cheaper cookers to choose from.

--John 8)
(Try some Thai jasmine rice in your rice cooker. I've eaten U.S.-grown long-grain white rice forever, and it is not the same. Not that perfect al dente bite and richness. Sorry, Louisiana, California, Texas, etc. rice growers.)

Unity said:
The Giant store had a few small briskets on sale last week, so I picked up a 3.5-lb one, about the right size for the two of us. After almost forgetting that it was in the basement fridge, yesterday I rubbed it with Texas BBQ Rub brisket blend and put it in the WSM at 9:15 am. I kept the fire slow, about 190-200°, for about 8 hours, then, when the meat temp was 143°, brought it up to normal 230-260° range. I watched the ET-73 remote (those things work great!) for hours while the meat was stalled at 169° (cooker holding at 263-266°); I decided that once it started moving again I would foil, and after foiling, it finished cooking in the next hour and a half. I took it off at 10:45 pm, internal temp 198°, wrapped it in towels and an old chenille bedspread, and left it to rest in the Coleman cooler overnight. This morning Jody and I snuck a taste -- mmm, tender, moist -- sealed it in a food saver bag, and put it in the fridge. This evening I heated it in boiling water and served it with acorn squash and jasmine rice (love my new rice cooker!). It was a perfectly tender, moist, good-flavored brisket. The only thing I would purposely change next time is to use less rub.

Or to change rubs, I hear there is a local Virginia rub called "Bold" or something like that, that's fantastic on brisket :shock:

Just kididng, the brisket looks great John!!

oct_97 said:
Yep, good job. I cannot get rice to come out right no matter what I do, bought a cooker, no diffrence. :(

Yall's funny, :shock: Rice is fool proof Buy long grain Mahatma watermaid. Do check the date on the bag! Boil 2 parts water to 1 part rice. add some salt, A splash of EVOO, add rice to boilin water cover & reduce heat to lowest simmer for 20min do not peek or remove lid. After 20 min. uncover & fluff with a fork & eat ;)
Great lookin Briskit Unity

Unity said:
Diva Q said:
Looks like a feast!

Unity said:
(love my new rice cooker!)

What rice cooker do you have?
You know, I've wished for decades that I could justify a rice cooker, but it just seemed such an extravagance, and I figured, heck, I've got pans, rice'll cook in pans, won't it? I just kept rationalizing that it was too expensive, even though when we were in Japan (with the U.S. Army) way back in the 60s, all the Japanese people we knew -- none of them well-to-do -- had rice cookers. Well, we went to a Thai restaurant a couple of weeks ago, and their rice was so good that it propelled me to eBay as soon as we got home.

I bought a little Zojirushi NS-KCC05 (Japan-, not China-made), a 3-cup size (6-oz "cups"), which works okay for two people. But I realized that when Jody's mom comes to stay with us over the summer, it's not going to be big enough. I may go for a 10-cup version later. This one doesn't have the latest thing, induction heating, but it is programmable for different kinds of rice or porridge, and you can set it to have rice (or oatmeal, or whatever) ready when you get home or get up. There are cheaper cookers to choose from.

--John 8)
(Try some Thai jasmine rice in your rice cooker. I've eaten U.S.-grown long-grain white rice forever, and it is not the same. Not that perfect al dente bite and richness. Sorry, Louisiana, California, Texas, etc. rice growers.)

Sorry to Jack the post, If yall kin find it try some Louisiana popcorn rice It has a buttery nutty flavor kinda like alborio rice

Mmm! Tasty, John. Hopefully, I'll be smoking a turkey Thursday or Friday. Hopefully. I just can't go to the store and buy it, you know?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom