Mem. Day weekend cooks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
txpgapro said:
Finally got the briskets on after some troubles. Took awhile for the peanut oil rub down to burn off. Then the smoker probe on my new Maverick ET-73 quit working. I believe that the wire got crushed closing the door. What good is a round wire conductor when it is gonna get flattened by a steel door? Now I have to send it back and I hope that they warranty it. I need to purchase a couple of 6 footers anyway, but I but the Maverick primarily for this cook. Switched probes for the night so I will not be monitoring the meat. Got so much meat on the racks I don't believe that the smoke and heat is circulating properly around the briskets. There seems to be about 20* difference in the bottom and the top racks. Now it's started pouring rain again. My all night is not started out good at all. At least the Corona's are cold!

TX,

Just a little tip for the future. I send my wire probe (I have a polder) down the smokestack. No risk of the wire being crushed that way. As far as the peanut oil goes, it works well for seasoning a pit, so at least your pit is now freshly seasoned. Good luck with the briskethon cook. Looking forward to hearing and seeng the results.

Just finished wrapping the briskets. Internal temp was 160*. Rained all night long! Was able to keep the pit around 200*-215* though. Finally set my telephone alarm and laid down at 5:30am for a quick nap and got up at 6:30am. I'm so tired I forgot to take pictures of the meat before wrapping. I will keep the meat cooking for another 4-5 hours. Trying to do it "Bill's" way as close as I can. I just started browning the 4 lbs. of bacon, and 4 lbs. of sausage for the beans. Even got the wife shucking corn.

2:30pm - Just pulled the briskets out of the pit. Internal meat temp - 195*. I could make a dinner off the juice from these. Man it is gonna be some dinner! I'll post pics before and after slicing. Gonna use my new Forschner high $ knife.

I did some of those chicken and bacon on skewers. They were a huge hit. Smoked them till the bacon was done (about 3 hours) then painted 'em with duck sauce and then on the grill just enough to burn the tips. They were almost as big a hit as abt's ! Anyone ever smoke the big scallops wrapped in bacon ?

john pen said:
... Anyone ever smoke the big scallops wrapped in bacon ?

I'm not sure that would be something I would try. Even with the bacon, I would think that the low 'n slow approach would ruin the real flavor of the scallop and that the texture would be that of a huge pencil eraser.... IMHO. I'd stick to grilling them buggers.

I went to one of those fancy restaurants one time and had smoked scallops for an appetizer. This was a long time ago, but I am sure they weren't in the smoke for the duration of the cook. I remember we really liked the restaurant and the food, until we got the bill. But yeah, I've heard/had smoked scallops.

That's usually done on a stove top smoker, and as Jim said... not for a long time.
Down here scallops are usually seared and towards very rare in the center.
Almost anything you would sear to eat would not benefit from a slow approach. :!:

Kloset BBQR said:
jminion said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":1zbwk8h9]
I don't have much more experience than you on the briskets but two secrets I learned were 1) cook at very low temps 190-200. Anything above 210 and you risk boiling the juices out and 2)cook all the way through at least to 180-185 or until the brisket is kind of like a meat jello consistency (all wiggly)
that way the fat has rendered into the meat.

I've heard this stated before but have never found it to be true, you are not going to boil juices out of the brisket because the science of it doesn't work that way. The moisture in the cells are released as they break down, most of that happening during the stall from internal temps of 160 to 175 degree.

The other problem I see if with this method of cooking is if your pit temps are 190 to 200 it takes a very long time to get the internal to your finish temp, the longer it takes the easier it is to dry out the exterior portions of the brisket.

Try raising your pit temps to 225 to 235 and repeat your cook, pull at 185 to 190 internal, wrap and let it set in a dry cooler for a few hours.

Jim

Jim,

I hate to disagree with you but I can only comment on the briskets I've cooked and moving the temps down did the trick for me. Actually got that tip from Bill Cannon when I bought some of his rub. The only problem I've had cooking at these temps is the time. My last brisket took somewhere in the neighborhood of 22 1/2 hours but was the juiciest brisket I've ever made. Now part of the difference may have been the cookers. I never could get a moist brisket on my WSM cooking at those higher temps, but I'm not sure if it was related to the WSM or not. I'd only cooked flats on my WSM. When I got my Klose, I found a place where I could get whole briskets and that was the same time I switched to the lower temps. So not entirely sure whether its the cook, the coooker, the change to whole vs. flat briskets. Too many variables. All I know I've never had a dry brisket since. My other techniques are the same as yours, pull at 185, foil and let sit for a least an hour and for me its been closer to three or four while the point was cooking.[/quote:1zbwk8h9]

Kloset, I will disagree with both you and TexasBill on this count. In order to "boil" the fat out of a brisket, you would have to reach an internal temp equal to the boiling point of beef fat. I , and several others I know, cook briskets regularly at 230 to 250 degrees. I think that the foiling process allows the cut to remain juicy somehow. Now I'm not debating that you can cook a real juicy brisket at 180-200 degrees over a long time period. I'm just saying that I think you can produce just as good a product at a higher temp. The absolute key for me with brisket is the foiling at the 160 degree internal temp and taking it up to 185-190 deg. Rest it wrapped in a towel placed in a cooler for about an hour and slice. The only problem I ever had with a brisket was that it was too tender and juicy! Woody

ps Hey Cap'n , I echo that you NEVER want the inside of a brisket to be pink! That will taste like a mudflap. There is a special alchemy that occurs with a brisket which causes it to go from a tough hunk of muscle to a divine piece of heaven. Problem is, you need to monitor it and know when it happens. The comment about the thing jiggling is a valid one. It'll feel like a hunk of jello, or a piece of liver when it is done. Just add some fava beans and you've got a meal! Do not give up on this cut. To me, it is the height of the art! The first time I "got" it, I almost cried! Woodrow

Glock, it can be done either way. The trick is to keep trying until you decide what produces the best product in a manner that you can live with. I actually was over at Kloset's house after he cooked that brisket for 22 hour's I think. It was great brisket, but he looked like death warmed over! Am I right Dallas? Now, I've cooked some briskets I consider just as good for 12-14 hours at 230-250 degrees. I differ from Jim in that, I foil mine at a lower temp and allow it to rise to the "magic" 185 range in the foil before resting. For a competition, I would probably only want to take it to 180 before resting for maximum sliceability factor! You can actually let it get above 200 and have a great eating piece of meat. In fact, if you are planning on chopping it, I would recommend it!

ps. never, never, never take the brisket out of the juices! leave the leftovers in the foil sitting in the coagulated juices for reheating. That stuff is called demi glace and is the nectar of the Gods!

Woodman said:
Glock, it can be done either way. The trick is to keep trying until you decide what produces the best product in a manner that you can live with. I actually was over at Kloset's house after he cooked that brisket for 22 hour's I think. It was great brisket, but he looked like death warmed over! Am I right Dallas? Now, I've cooked some briskets I consider just as good for 12-14 hours at 230-250 degrees. I differ from Jim in that, I foil mine at a lower temp and allow it to rise to the "magic" 185 range in the foil before resting. For a competition, I would probably only want to take it to 180 before resting for maximum sliceability factor! You can actually let it get above 200 and have a great eating piece of meat. In fact, if you are planning on chopping it, I would recommend it!

ps. never, never, never take the brisket out of the juices! leave the leftovers in the foil sitting in the coagulated juices for reheating. That stuff is called demi glace and is the nectar of the Gods!

Yeah, you're right about the death warmed over part Woody. Those all night cooks take a lot out of you. But I did it all for you guys and the thanks I get is saying I looked like death warmed over. Where is the love? Woody I've cooked them both ways and all I can say is I have had better results when I keep the temps under 215 like Bill recommends. It adds quite some time to the cook but hey its for my Q brothers man.

I absolutely agree with the foiling and the keeping of those juices. Nectar of the Gods! It's Gold Jerry, Gold! :grin:

Looking forward to getting together this weekend. It could rain, but it's all part of the game you know? I bought the second EZ UP!

With the few briskets I've done, I would agree with Woody! I've foiled them at 165*, then cooked until 195*. Juicy and tender each and every time.

Well I've finally got some rest, and sobered up. The cook went well. I thought the briskets were a little dry, considering how many I was cooking in such a confined space, but everyone else said it was great! One guy who spent 10 years with Earl Campells team said even he was impressed. Now for the results ----------they were all eaten or smoked up. The id tags I used on the 6 briskets smoked up beyond recognition. And there were so many people there(around 75) that no clear cut winner could be determined. But, in my opinion, based on the talk, TexasRub Brisket Blend and Gordon's Grub Rub got the most "oh yeow"'s. Next was Miguel Carlos Special Spices (my own blend), and the Wolfe Rub. Bad Byron's Butt Rub and Fatz Pig Powder had the fewest raves. All the briskets got the thumbs up though! I personally was surprised with the flavor of Wolfe Rub. Very good! The Gordon's made the best juice by far. Of course they use more brown sugar than the rest. The 50#'s of chicken got a lot of EVOO and then a ton of Fatz Pig Powder. Mixed it all up in a huge cooler. Smoked it for an hour, then moved it to the grill as I mopped it with Miguel Carlos BBQ & Mop Sauce to finish it out. This was the best flavored BBQ chicken I've ever eaten. I don't know if it was the PigPowder rub or my mop sauce or the blend of both, but WOW! The only draw back with the cookout was that I only allowed 1 hour for my turkey fryer to heat up to boil 100 ears of corn. 3 hours later, and after many had left, the corn was finally hot. I waited till everyone left, and spent the next hour slicing all the kernels off and then vacuum sealing for the freezer. I'll learn!

Sounds like a big time for all.
The brisket test sounds like a lot of fun.
I wish you could have gotten better responses from your guests.
Would have been good to have a little better log of their opinions.
It's all about fun and what you learn.
Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom