Mem. Day weekend cooks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
txpgapro said:
Had to buy 2 more briskets for the cook. Up to six now. Gonna have a taste test. All will get worecestershire sauce then the rub. Gonna wrap 'em over night then to the pit about 9pm Sunday night. Wrap 'em in tin around 8am Monday and pull to cool around 3pm. Slice and serve by 5pm. Here are the rubs I'm using. TexasRub, Fatz PigPowder, Wolfe Rub, Bad Bryon's Butt Rub, Gordon's Grub Rub, and my own attmept at some spices. Each brisket goes into a seperate and marked pan for comments from the guests. Also doing 40# of chicken quarters and mopping with Miguel Carlos BBQ & Mop Sauce. Looks like and all nighter. Also 3 gallons of BBQinFL baked beans, and 100 ears of corn.

You're the man Miguel! Let us know the results of your rub test. Very anxious to hear about it.

Kloset BBQR said:
I don't have much more experience than you on the briskets but two secrets I learned were 1) cook at very low temps 190-200. Anything above 210 and you risk boiling the juices out and 2)cook all the way through at least to 180-185 or until the brisket is kind of like a meat jello consistency (all wiggly)
that way the fat has rendered into the meat.

I've heard this stated before but have never found it to be true, you are not going to boil juices out of the brisket because the science of it doesn't work that way. The moisture in the cells are released as they break down, most of that happening during the stall from internal temps of 160 to 175 degree.

The other problem I see if with this method of cooking is if your pit temps are 190 to 200 it takes a very long time to get the internal to your finish temp, the longer it takes the easier it is to dry out the exterior portions of the brisket.

Try raising your pit temps to 225 to 235 and repeat your cook, pull at 185 to 190 internal, wrap and let it set in a dry cooler for a few hours.

Jim

jminion said:
Kloset BBQR said:
I don't have much more experience than you on the briskets but two secrets I learned were 1) cook at very low temps 190-200. Anything above 210 and you risk boiling the juices out and 2)cook all the way through at least to 180-185 or until the brisket is kind of like a meat jello consistency (all wiggly)
that way the fat has rendered into the meat.

I've heard this stated before but have never found it to be true, you are not going to boil juices out of the brisket because the science of it doesn't work that way. The moisture in the cells are released as they break down, most of that happening during the stall from internal temps of 160 to 175 degree.

The other problem I see if with this method of cooking is if your pit temps are 190 to 200 it takes a very long time to get the internal to your finish temp, the longer it takes the easier it is to dry out the exterior portions of the brisket.

Try raising your pit temps to 225 to 235 and repeat your cook, pull at 185 to 190 internal, wrap and let it set in a dry cooler for a few hours.

Jim

Jim,

I hate to disagree with you but I can only comment on the briskets I've cooked and moving the temps down did the trick for me. Actually got that tip from Bill Cannon when I bought some of his rub. The only problem I've had cooking at these temps is the time. My last brisket took somewhere in the neighborhood of 22 1/2 hours but was the juiciest brisket I've ever made. Now part of the difference may have been the cookers. I never could get a moist brisket on my WSM cooking at those higher temps, but I'm not sure if it was related to the WSM or not. I'd only cooked flats on my WSM. When I got my Klose, I found a place where I could get whole briskets and that was the same time I switched to the lower temps. So not entirely sure whether its the cook, the coooker, the change to whole vs. flat briskets. Too many variables. All I know I've never had a dry brisket since. My other techniques are the same as yours, pull at 185, foil and let sit for a least an hour and for me its been closer to three or four while the point was cooking.

Well it's certainly much better brisket when it's cooked at 190-200.
and there's only one way to cook them at that temperature,an offset.
I cooked many in a weber kettle,Egg,and there's no comparison,offset makes a better brisket,ribs,chicken,pork shoulder,pretty much everyrthing is better on an offset cooker period.

Two of the top brisket cooks I know (top ten KCBS) both cooking on offsets do packer cut in 6 to 7 hour, they are not cooking at those temps.
Switching to packers from flats makes a big difference. I have had taken first place money cooking on offsets, wsms, pellet cookers and ceramics, it is always the cook not the pit. The top ten brisket cooks for KCBS this last season represented all those styles pits.

I always try to come up with repeatable methods and aftering cooking thousands of pounds of brisket I have found cooking at 190 to 200 has it's problems.
Jim

Very few competitions allow 20 hours worth of cooking time!

I thought whole packers were the way to go, I think I'd have had better control if I had just bought a flat. And if I'd stayed awake! :)

Well no problems here cooking brisket and pork ribs at 190-200,never higher than 210,always come out BBQ'd nicely,now on those other cookers i'v cooked on, i had no choice but to cook at higher temperatures.Always a poor replica of BBQ at those higher temperatures.

That's my problem, I just can't get any more eastern US than I am...7/10ths of a mile from the ocean...and I just don't know what to compare brisket too. You can't find good brisket here. I don't think I've ever had the real deal...Jack W told me it should taste like steak....today's was the best I've done, but parts around the edges where it hung over the water pan still tasted like pot roast. I need to get some real brisket from one of you guys so I'll know what I'm shooting for.....so anyone wants a free place to stay in Myrtle Beach come on down! You will have to make a brisket though! :D

Captain Morgan said:
That's my problem, I just can't get any more eastern US than I am...7/10ths of a mile from the ocean...and I just don't know what to compare brisket too. You can't find good brisket here. I don't think I've ever had the real deal...Jack W told me it should taste like steak....today's was the best I've done, but parts around the edges where it hung over the water pan still tasted like pot roast. I need to get some real brisket from one of you guys so I'll know what I'm shooting for.....so anyone wants a free place to stay in Myrtle Beach come on down! You will have to make a brisket though! :D

Cappy, we'll throw one on the cooker in Sept!

The Memorial Day BBQ Blowout is offically underway as thebriskets have been rubbed and put to bed for the night. The pit will be fired up tomorrow evening, and the meat will be laid around 9:00pm. More pics tomorrow.

Greg Rempe said:
I would love to be there and taste all the different rubs...looks great!! :!: =D>

I'd just like to have a cooker that would hold all that meat!!! I can't wait to see the pics and here the results!!! I'm envious of you Tex!

Off to Wa state championship. Have 2 CABs, 4 butts, 4 racks of spares, 36 thighs to cook. Smoked salmon and the wife is doing a dessert. Looks like close to 30 teams to cook against. Will let you know Monday evening how it went.
Jim

Captain Morgan said:
Very few competitions allow 20 hours worth of cooking time!

I thought whole packers were the way to go, I think I'd have had better control if I had just bought a flat. And if I'd stayed awake! :)

Memphis in May does but they only cook pork except in the anything but category.

Cook the point Captain, and you'll never go back to flat's. My offers still open, I trade you the flat for the point even up, every time.

Looks like the start of my cook will be delayed a couple hours. I swabbed the inside and outside of the pit with leftover peanut oil and it's been smoking furiously for over an hour. I will never use peanut oil again. I'll just stick with the Pam Grill spray. Pit got so hot it sent my Maverick into a heart-attack. Now the Maverick only says HHH.

Finally got the briskets on after some troubles. Took awhile for the peanut oil rub down to burn off. Then the smoker probe on my new Maverick ET-73 quit working. I believe that the wire got crushed closing the door. What good is a round wire conductor when it is gonna get flattened by a steel door? Now I have to send it back and I hope that they warranty it. I need to purchase a couple of 6 footers anyway, but I but the Maverick primarily for this cook. Switched probes for the night so I will not be monitoring the meat. Got so much meat on the racks I don't believe that the smoke and heat is circulating properly around the briskets. There seems to be about 20* difference in the bottom and the top racks. Now it's started pouring rain again. My all night is not started out good at all. At least the Corona's are cold!

Back
Top Bottom