Mem. Day weekend cooks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well I slept through the critical points, so I missed my chances at learning more from you. I'll do another one soon. Thanks for staying up all night waiting on my questions. You can take a nap now. :!:

Captain Morgan said:
well I slept through the critical points, so I missed my chances at learning more from you. I'll do another one soon. Thanks for staying up all night waiting on my questions. You can take a nap now. :!:

I was on until after 11pm waiting for you!!!!

Greg Rempe said:
This is the second brisket that has no ring...is that by choice? :)

Greg are you referring to mine too? The reason mine didn't have one is cause my temps were too high during the beginning of my cook and caused the meat temp to rise way too fast. The smoke ring stops forming once the meat temp goes above 140*. This is the reason I put cold meat right out of the fridge onto the cooker. The longer you can safely keep the meat below 140* with smoke hitting it, the better your smoke ring will be.

well there's part of my problem....I let the brisket come to room temp before putting it on.

So I did learn one thing. The bark had a great smoke flavor though.

Captain Morgan said:
well there's part of my problem....I let the brisket come to room temp before putting it on.

So I did learn one thing. The bark had a great smoke flavor though.

The smoke ring only looks good, it doesn't effect the flavor. The meat will continue to take on smoke "flavor" for the entire cook. I've never heard someone say, "dang that's a great tasting smoke ring"!!!

Ok...I usually take my meat out of the fridge and then right on to the WSM so I get a big ring...didn't know if no smoke ring was intended!! :!:

Cappy, glad it tasted good!

Greg Rempe said:
Ok...I usually take my meat out of the fridge and then right on to the WSM so I get a big ring...didn't know if no smoke ring was intended!! :!:

Cappy, glad it tasted good!

I did intend to have a better smoke ring on mine but I had temp prob's! :)

Captain,

What did you mean about wanting some pink in the middle? Were you looking for "medium" as in roast beef? That might be a little bit on the tough to chew side, I would think.

Al

Thanks Al....like I said, brisket is a fairly new animal for me. I just didn't want it to be dry. I was hoping a little rare in the middle might mean juicy, but it makes sense that it would still be tough. Maybe it's not as overcooked as I thought, but the slices dried out real quick!

Had to buy 2 more briskets for the cook. Up to six now. Gonna have a taste test. All will get worcestershire sauce then the rub. Gonna wrap 'em over night then to the pit about 9pm Sunday night. Wrap 'em in tin around 8am Monday and pull to cool around 3pm. Slice and serve by 5pm. Here are the rubs I'm using. TexasRub, Fatz PigPowder, Wolfe Rub, Bad Bryon's Butt Rub, Gordon's Grub Rub, and my own attmept at some spices. Each brisket goes into a seperate and marked pan for comments from the guests. Also doing 40# of chicken quarters and mopping with Miguel Carlos BBQ & Mop Sauce. Looks like an all nighter. Also 3 gallons of BBQinFL baked beans, and 100 ears of corn.

Captain,

I don't have much more experience than you on the briskets but two secrets I learned were 1) cook at very low temps 190-200. Anything above 210 and you risk boiling the juices out and 2)cook all the way through at least to 180-185 or until the brisket is kind of like a meat jello consistency (all wiggly)
that way the fat has rendered into the meat. You get a very juciy brisket that way. Be careful though because you can over cook. Pull and wrap and foil and save those juices for either a BBQ broth or to pour over the brisket after you slice it.

One last question. Have you tried Bill Cannon's Texas BBQ Rub? It is absolultely fantastic. Good on just about any kind of meat but especially brisket.

For the smoke ring I add soaked wood chunks directly to the coals. Chips tend to burn off too quickly. I've used mixtures of hickory or oak mixed with apple or cherry with very nice results.

Not bad for a first attempt though. Enjoy! and don't forget to finish off those burnt ends!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom