Meat is on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, maybe someday I will look at doing the pork again. I may need to look into how to trim it or something. It had that huge fat cap on it. I scored it, because that is what I thought I had seen to do. Actually, part of me thinks it could have even been skin, but I hope that is just my mind going overboard. I have a real mental thing about food. If it resembles any part of the animal at all, I can barely eat it. So, is the thing on the top of the picnic a fat cap or is it skin? Should that be removed?

allisonandrews said:
Yes, maybe someday I will look at doing the pork again. I may need to look into how to trim it or something. It had that huge fat cap on it. I scored it, because that is what I thought I had seen to do. Actually, part of me thinks it could have even been skin, but I hope that is just my mind going overboard. I have a real mental thing about food. If it resembles any part of the animal at all, I can barely eat it. So, is the thing on the top of the picnic a fat cap or is it skin? Should that be removed?
It depends on how tough it was, I've gotten em with skin on.....it's not hard to remove it.......

if it was a picnic then it was the skin. you can cut it away if you want...gives more area for bark, but I think I remember one of your first posts saying something about not being a big bark fan. I have had better luck with butts than picnics as far as flavor, but there are others on here that could cook a tire and it would probably taste great. If/when you try one again I would look for a boston butt.

allisonandrews said:
Okay, gross. This probably was skin. Yep, that about does it for my experience with pork - at least for ones with the skin on.

ROFL!!! We all have to learn from our mistakes. Don't give up yet.

allisonandrews said:
Is the Boston Butt a lot more expensive? I seem to remember seeing one, but it was over $2/lb where the picnic was .98/lb.
Typicall the butt around here runs between 1.18-1.28 lb sometimes I can get them as cheap as .87lb. The whole picnic may be cheaper but it has more bones and I think less of a yeild..IMHO it' worth it to pay a little more for the butt.

allisonandrews said:
Yeah, I got nice and up close and personal with the internal makeup of the butt. Bone was huge. The yield was pathetic.
IMHO there seems to be more fat pockets in a shoulder as well.

Captain Morgan said:
allisonandrews said:
Okay, gross. This probably was skin. Yep, that about does it for my experience with pork - at least for ones with the skin on.

ROFL!!! We all have to learn from our mistakes. Don't give up yet.

FYI - I still haven't been back near a pork butt since I last commented on this thread. After almost two years away from this forum, I've returned to ask about a pork loin that my husband got from his mother in law. The thread almost got a bit lively. Maybe pork and I just don't get along!!!

Oh, and sorry some of the pics are now gone. I must have gotten delete happy at some point.

Back
Top Bottom