Meat is on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ABTs after one hour:

015mediumwebview4yb.jpg

Hour 9 update:

Pork - 160 degrees, basting with juices in bottom of pan now - includes apple juice, worst sauce, apple cider vinegar, st. louis style rub, beer, and natural juices from the pork.

Brisket - 193 degrees, pans getting full of juice. Will probably take them off around 8pm which will be a 10 hour cook.

ABTs after 2 hours. Took them off the smoker. Had a nice smokey flavor, but the peppers were not soft enough. They are now in the oven inside to cook a bit more.

016mediumwebview7jl.jpg

allisonandrews said:
Hour 9 update:

Pork - 160 degrees, basting with juices in bottom of pan now - includes apple juice, worst sauce, apple cider vinegar, st. louis style rub, beer, and natural juices from the pork.

Brisket - 193 degrees, pans getting full of juice. Will probably take them off around 8pm which will be a 10 hour cook.

ABTs after 2 hours. Took them off the smoker. Had a nice smokey flavor, but the peppers were not soft enough. They are now in the oven inside to cook a bit more.

016mediumwebview7jl.jpg
Looks great =P~ My ABT's usually take about 2.5 hrs

wittdog said:
allisonandrews said:
Hour 9 update:

016mediumwebview7jl.jpg
Looks great =P~ My ABT's usually take about 2.5 hrs
Oh my ~ That's lookin' better by the minute!! =P~

Brisket is done and is wonderful! I think the pork butts are going to take quite a while. It is now thundering and lightening, so maybe we will get some more much needed rain. I'll probably be unplugging the computer if it looks bad, so I'll get the pork pictures on tomorrow.

020mediumwebview6jf.jpg

019mediumwebview9bc.jpg

022mediumwebview7pg.jpg

Well, dem brisket pics are lookin' purdy damn good from here! =P~ Good job!! :(

I'm back. We were too busy yesterday for me to log on.

To answer an earlier question, briskets were rested fat side up. The briskets really were wonderful.

Now, onto the pork...

I hated it. Everything about it just grossed me out. However, my husband really liked it. So, he has quite a bit of pulled pork to eat on for a while.

I just didn't like the taste. It was very tender, especially near the bone, but it had sort of a smoked turkey taste to me. I love chicken and turkey, but can't stand them when they've been smoked. This may be a similar situation. I tried to eat a bit on a hamburger bun last night and made it about 3 bites before I couldn't handle it anymore.

They also ended up being a royal pain in the rear to cook. In my last post, I was talking about a storm moving in. Well, it hit and had lots of wind with it. We had to move the pork into the oven in the house to finish because the rain was blowing straight into our fire box. I cooked it for 5 more hours at oven temp 200 degrees. At this point in time, in the middle of the night, all 3 of my electric thermometers decided to crap out on me (run out of batteries). I grabbed an old manual one I had and it said pork was only at 160 degrees. Bumped the oven up to 225 for 3 hours. Thermometer still reading 160, but I can tell the pork is warmer. Decided that thermometer was screwed as well. I bumped the oven up to 250 for 2 more hours and then turned it off and let them rest in the oven for an hour or so.

So, basically, the pork had 23 hours of cooking time, which included me having to get up in the middle of the night several times to check on it. Then, it took almost an hour to pull it apart. Then I couldn't stand the taste of it. So, basically, I don't think I will be doing a pork butt again anytime soon.

But, as I keep coming back to, the briskets were really good.

Oh, and I don't think I like ABTs anymore. The last time before this that we made them, I had trouble eating them with the bacon. I used to crave bacon, but now I can hardly eat it without the fat making me want to hurl.

Hubby liked the bacon and cream cheese, but said the peppers were way to hot. We ended up chunking the batch.

What did we learn from all of this? Well, having our last 5 or more briskets turn out terrific has reassured us that we really do have our method down and there is no reason to mess with it anymore. We also know that we can do country style pork ribs pretty well (why I can eat them and not the pulled pork, I don't know.) I think we are going to pass on the ABTs for a while, any maybe avoid the pork butts as well.

Allie,
The butts didn't happen to be enhanced did they? That would give you an off some what "hammy" taste and totally different texture vs. a fresh butt.

I don't know if they were or not. I thought about that later on, but I had already thrown away all the packages and hubby had taken the trash out. It might have been something like that. My husband loves ham, I can't stand it.

On one side note, the dogs definately enjoyed the bones!

I think that Larry may be onto something, those butts may have been enhanced......You should try the butts again sometime making sure that they have not be enhanced. As far as the ABT's not liking bacon :ack: try the low fat bacon next time and try to clean out the pepers better if you get all the pepper ribs and seeds out then they won't be hot. You might have to cut the peppers in half to accomplish this. Butts can take awhile to cook but are worth the effort. If hubby like them you should give it another shot......Glad to hear that the Brisket came out great the Mrs. wants to do one this week now.....

Back
Top Bottom