mantaining the fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is also the Wolfe Method. When smoking I load the cooker up first with lump and wood, then cold meat. Light just a couple seconds with a Map torch, let burn 5-10 minutes depending on weather, shut the lid and vents and then with the vents 100% open let the grill come up to 100-150º (weather dependant) and then shut the top and bottom vents to 75% closed. This will let the temps gradually climb and settle in between 250-300º.

Skip to 6:34 mark to see the lighting process. I have 3 charcoal chimneys I haven't used in years.
Grilled Slow Smoked BBQ Pork Loin - YouTube

I read once that the nasty stuff comes off the briqs as they light. So it was best to have them all lit before putting the lid on (Kettle). That was one of the advantages of lump was that it did not have that.

So I pile up the lump mixed with the smoking woodd and put about six to ten pre-lit briqs on the pile and I get a steady 250-275 (no wind firlyh sunny warm day) for quite awhile. I add more lump as needed. I use a can with punched holes on the gas grill's side burner and I've got the briqs lit and in the kettle in minutes.

I read once that the nasty stuff comes off the briqs as they light. So it was best to have them all lit before putting the lid on (Kettle).

This is true if the coals are smoldering due to insufficient air intake/exhaust. The key with wood, charcoal, lump or even pellets is to have enough air and exhaust for the fire to fully combust (clean burn). If any of the above mentioned 'smolder' you will get the nasty stuff you're referring to, not solely briquettes.

MI I always pull for the Wolverines other than one game a year. But you are right I could be dangerous with that weed burner ;)

I thought it was impossible to be a Wolverines fan AND a Buckeye fan.

I use a weed burner at the house and have a mapp torch I keep in the trailer when we go camping. I used to use those Weber cubes but it takes too long compared to the weed burner or mapp torch.

This is true if the coals are smoldering due to insufficient air intake/exhaust. The key with wood, charcoal, lump or even pellets is to have enough air and exhaust for the fire to fully combust (clean burn). If any of the above mentioned 'smolder' you will get the nasty stuff you're referring to, not solely briquettes.

Thanks for the clarification. I just read up on another good thread and got the same conclusion. That other advice was from a guy selling a book. I guess it makes for more pages ;)

Being a bit health conscious, I do like the idea that I've burned off all chemical ignitors before exposing the food. It may not make a noticeable flavor difference, but it does seem a bit safer. Maybe that's just psych.

By the way, I appreciate your videos. Thanks for the work.

Being a bit health conscious, I do like the idea that I've burned off all chemical ignitors before exposing the food.

By the way, I appreciate your videos. Thanks for the work.
I certainly hope that NOBODY is using lighter fluid or "match light" type of products (where lighter fluid is in the briquettes before you buy them).

PLEASE, no lighter fluid!

BOB

I certainly hope that NOBODY is using lighter fluid or "match light" type of products (where lighter fluid is in the briquettes before you buy them).

PLEASE, no lighter fluid!

BOB

No...definitely not. Some of the briqs have chemical ignitors even without marketing it as match light or instant light.

I was watching one of my favorite youtube crews, and suddenly, the guy lights a pile with fluid...right in his kettle! I was shocked. It was like finding out your favorite professional ball players was not only doping, but doing it wrong!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom