Lump or Briquettes? - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Cooker

Lump or Briquettes?

Was just wondering what ya'll preffered and why?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #2

Re: Lump or Briquettes?

Lump ... I think the briquettes smell as well as leave far more ash.

• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Wizard of Que

What bbquzz said.
DATsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Whut bbqbuzz and Dats said. Since you are from Sunny CA ought to be fairly easy to find some Lazzari Lump. It comes from the raping and pillaging of the Sonoran high desert of Mejico. Very good stuff direct cooking on a a big pit. Purty sure it would not be good to use it in a R2D2 type water smoker gizmo. The chunks is fairly big thusly not packing tightly enough to give off steady heat using a small fire pan. Best choice for small pits is Ozark Oak which comes from Arkieville. Stay away from B&B and Cowboy brand. Both are garbage. Royal Oak Lump is supposed to be good. I have used it a few times but its been many moons. Dont see it around here very often. They have the crappiest briquettes ever invented. If lump aint feasible Kingsford Mesquite flavor aint too horrible.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #5

If you are in to research check out "The Naked Whiz's Lump Charcoal Database." http://tinyurl.com/vzs8. I use Royal Oak because it is the best I can get locally, it is much better than Cowboy. Bigwheel has much more experience so check out those he mentioned.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
BBQ NOOB

What about using the Minion method on a WSM? Seems many of these burn hot, and don't last as long as the blue bag.
Has anyone found a lump brand that works as (or nearly as) well for the WSM-Minion?
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Saint O'Que

I've used Royal Oak lump (their Nature-Glo label, actually) exclusively for the past 4 years in my WSM. It works just fine using the Minion method. I just pour it into the charcoal ring, and then push and move it to one side, which compacts it (eliminating any big voids in the pile) while creating a "hole" into which I pour the lit charcoal. As for not lasting as long as Kingsford, it has been so long since I used Kingsford I can't make a direct comparison. But lump is less dense than Kingsford (compare the relative size of a 20-lb bag of K to 20 lbs of lump), so you can't pack as much fuel into the WSM when using lump. I think that, on a pound-for-pound basis, the burn times would probably look a lot more comparable.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #8

What Larry says, use a poker to pack the ring tight, pour a chimney of hot coals on and in warmer weather I get 8 hours and freezing weather 6 hours. I do use two charcoal grates in the bottom of my WSM to prevent the smaller pieces of lump from falling through. Well worth the $9 for an extra grate.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Saint O'Que

Lump 100% for me.
This is why I bought a stoker system.
Lump holds weak in a WSM. and now UDS
I usto use K but the smell chokes me out and just something about all the funk that's burning below my food weards me out. I can taste an off taste too.
I am from California. The best Mesquite, and Ive tried many is CA Hotwood at Albertsons.
It has less spark and the flavor is more mild than best of the west and lazarri. I hit it with a pick hammer and put it in a big Rubbermaid container to get it all uniform in size. Cowboy bruns at 1,000,000 degrees and lasts two seconds. It's junk. Look how large the bag is compared to the weight. RO is good but its way too woodsy especially on chicken and a rib roast.
Lowe's just started replacing the Stubb's with Frontier which burns like mesquite but milder in flavor. This is the best so far out here Ive used. Don't like the BGE for $28 for 20lbs when its just royal oak in a green bag. Rip Off! I will be totally content when we get Wicked Good down here in So Cal. Its the best! I like that with lump I can put a huge stack across the bottom of my drum grill and light one side. It will burns down and across for up to 3 hours (keeping the lid down as much as passable) when I am cooking for large parties. You just can't do that with K because as it lights it stinks and arguably adds funky flavors to the food. Lump is better when relighting from a previous cook also.
Tri Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
BBQ NOOB

Thanks for the advice. Now to track some down in the dead of winter...

bman is offline   Reply With Quote