Lump Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Last week I royally screwed up a full packer brisket on my WSM. I was using "Cowboy Lump" charcoal. On top of being a bit over cooked the taste was reall, really bad. Kind of bitter and just bad. Was it over smoked by the Lump? Or maybe the lump wasnt burning "clean" enough? Thanks for any help.

While Cowboy Lump is roundly talked down about on most forums, I've never heard anyone complain that it made their meat bitter.

Were you using any other kind of wood for flavor besides the lump? Was you exhaust vent on your smoker totally open during the cook.

If you answered NO to #1 and YES to #2, I'm totally lost then.

I have just been using kinsford and wood chunks instead of lump. I have found 2" x 4"'s in cowboy lump before. I think they are using old houses from the hurricane trash and making charcoal lump... Mesquite lump rocks!!!

Tried Cowboy brand a few times years ago. Biggest complaints I had was it burned real hot and burned up real fast..and yes think it could get a person sooted up under the right circumstances especially with delicate stuff like chicken. I wouldn't take any if it was free.

bigwheel

I had it mixed 50/50 roughly with kingsford. I lit a chiminy of lump and poured it over the kingsford. Usually I do like Sapo just said.......Kingsford and wood chunks.

Bruce I have heard of it being really crappy lump and have used it once before but its the only thing Home depot had so I thought id give it another try. :?

No other flavors of wood and the exhaust WAS open......I was thinking somehow the lump wasnt getting good airflow to it and it completely oversmoked it out? It was terrible.

Back
Top Bottom