low temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyReb

Senior Cook
cant get my temp above 200* for some reason today, is it safe to cook that low

hovering around 199-201

am i in for a truly low and slow night?

smoking 2 whole chickens for some pulled chicken :D

as long as it dosent go below 140* im good right?

well its a chargriller i modified with a gas burner today :oops: , it will prolly be the franken grillers first and last cook :cry:

crazyhorse said:
smoking 2 whole chickens for some pulled chicken :D

as long as it dosent go below 140* im good right?

Poultry is the one thing I WOULD worry about cooking at that low of a temp. The reason is, due to the very low pit temps that chicken will sit in the danger zone (40*-140*) for an extended period of time, thus letting the bad bacteria culminate. Get your temps up to no lower than 235* grate temp in my opinion. I cook my poulty when "smoking" between 235*-250* (dome temp on the WSM between 250*-265*).

crazyhorse said:
well its a chargriller i modified with a gas burner today :oops: , it will prolly be the franken grillers first and last cook :cry:

Even with the gas burner the temps won't get any higher??? Have you calibrated your thermometers? Just looking for clues for ya here.

Maybe too much heat is leaking out? Maybe try making some ropes out of alluminum foil and seal around the lid..then adjust the gas intake accordingly? ...Dunno just a SWAG.

up to 220* now, im not opening that lid to check the thermo while shes hot :LOL:

gonna take it to 180 in the thigh, that should kill any baddies right

can you grab the therm out real quick and test it?
Odds are it's not 20 degrees off. Still, better safe
than sorry. Especially with chicken.

You get down into the low 200's and below you turn a bbq pit into a jerky making dehydrator moochine. Thats why I always trying to try to convince these yankees to turn up the heat. Got a death threat over at the Widder Bassos forum a few years back when I suggested 225 was too low to cook a butt. I suggest you figger out why you aint pumping out no heat.

bigwheel

Order a pizza and cut the chicken up and throw it on top of the pie with some BBQ sauce ;)

Back
Top Bottom