Looking for tips on grilling pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopdaddy

Senior Cook
I have never done this before so any help is much appreciated.

Specifically how long does it take to grill them without burning? I have some Buboli crusts I plan on using.
I have a pizza stone I plan on using, should I pre-heat the stone in the grill before putting the pizza on or should it be cold?

Since you are using the stone I'd say put it in there and let it heat up with the grill. Then cook much like you would in the oven. Get the toppings melted/cooked through and your crust is crunchy. It really depends on how hot you get the grill as to how much time. in the oven I'll usually put them in for 5-7 min @ 475 that seems to work. YMMV

I have burned up enough pizza's to say they don't take long at all. :LOL: The best luck I have had is in the WSM with no water pan for a little less than 10 min. I fail on the Weber kettle every damn time. But I catch them in time to eat my mistakes. :D Well, most of the time. I have had a few that were left out for the dog's', and they passed on the deal. :LOL:

PIGS

Use the stone, screw the boboli. I put my stone on the grill and heat the grill to around 550 - 600. Let it sit there for a while so the stone heats all the way through. Make a pizza dough and stretch and spin and toss and turn, what ever you want to do to make it as round as you please. Put a layer of sauce, layer of cheese and what ever toppings you desire. Put it on the stone thats in the oven (pizza peel works best) Cook for about six minutes, you mave have to rotate it if there are hot spots on the stone. Lift the edges and check the bottom to see if it's cooking evenly. I like my crust well done but you can cook it to whatever doneness your little heart desires. Should take between 6 - 7 1/2 minutes at 600*. Last but not least, take and post pictures. Also post this in grilling section next time!

My wife put a stop to me wasting $20 dollars every week, and now I have to leave it up to the experts at the local pizza joint down the street.

I enjoyed it straight on the grates...but if I knew how, the only pizza I would eat is that Chicago deep dish where the raw sausage is the bottom layer when it goes into the oven

So I've done a few pizza's and have had some good success. I watched a video from The BBQ Pit Boys that showed how to cook pizza on bricks. Put the bricks on the grill, heat em up real good, make your pizza, throw it on the bricks, 5-8 min later, all done. I havent used boboli, I buy the premade dough from trader joes only because i'm not as talented as Nick and can't make my own. Check out the video and see what you think. You can find them on youtube. Also, Vermin999 recently made some pizza's on bricks if I recall and posted pics and info on this forum. Also check out Larry Wolfe's posts on pizza on the grill. Good Stuff. Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

Nick Prochilo said:
Use the stone, screw the boboli. I put my stone on the grill and heat the grill to around 550 - 600. Let it sit there for a while so the stone heats all the way through. Make a pizza dough and stretch and spin and toss and turn, what ever you want to do to make it as round as you please. Put a layer of sauce, layer of cheese and what ever toppings you desire. Put it on the stone thats in the oven (pizza peel works best) Cook for about six minutes, you mave have to rotate it if there are hot spots on the stone. Lift the edges and check the bottom to see if it's cooking evenly. I like my crust well done but you can cook it to whatever doneness your little heart desires. Should take between 6 - 7 1/2 minutes at 600*. Last but not least, take and post pictures. Also post this in grilling section next time!

Unfortunately just didn't have time to make from scratch tonight. So we used the boboli since it was quick and easy.

I meant to post it in the grilling section, just didn't notice I was in general when I posted it.

californiagrillin said:
So I've done a few pizza's and have had some good success. I watched a video from The BBQ Pit Boys that showed how to cook pizza on bricks. Put the bricks on the grill, heat em up real good, make your pizza, throw it on the bricks, 5-8 min later, all done. I havent used boboli, I buy the premade dough from trader joes only because i'm not as talented as Nick and can't make my own. Check out the video and see what you think. You can find them on youtube. Also, Vermin999 recently made some pizza's on bricks if I recall and posted pics and info on this forum. Also check out Larry Wolfe's posts on pizza on the grill. Good Stuff. Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

Thanks for the heads up on the BBQ Pit Boys videos. There were a number of good ones.

The supermarkets around here sell frozen pizza doughs. They can be a little bit of a fight as the tend to keep pulling back as you stretch them. The local pizza shops will also sell just the dough, just don't let them flour the outside edge as it makes it crusty.

Yeah but homemade dough is so easy unless you just really don't have the time make it yourself.
one of my favorite ways to use pizza dough. Stromboli. Not done on the grill but hey here it is went a tad nuts with the cheese on these.

img_222741_0_482b2aa50c09f1b8f7f84c2124de85ba.jpg

img_222741_1_f2115ac1b22074ce629211064e47ce3c.jpg

I have been considering buying one fo those pizza stones for the grill, I have a Pampered Chef for the oven and I use it all the time during the winter. Does anyone know if it's the same as the pizza stones marketed for the grill? Dave that's quite a set up for cooking a pizz, looks like it does a great job!

backyardbbq said:
I have been considering buying one fo those pizza stones for the grill, I have a Pampered Chef for the oven and I use it all the time during the winter. Does anyone know if it's the same as the pizza stones marketed for the grill? Dave that's quite a set up for cooking a pizz, looks like it does a great job!

Just go down to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a piece of unpolished travertine. Should be able to pick a piece up for $4.00 or so. I did a job two years ago and took one piece of travertine home and thats all I use.

I second the unpolished travertine stone. Cheaper than a "Pizza Stone" in case you drop it :LOL: Main thing is it must be totally dry before heating or it will crack!

Baking bread is another hobby of mine so I frequent several bread forums. Many people want to use a less expensive pizza stone so it is a common topic.
You might want to use parchment paper on the travertine tiles. 100% natural travertine is very difficult to find, as travertine is very porous and the holes are filled in with epoxy.

3 Olives said:
Baking bread is another hobby of mine so I frequent several bread forums. Many people want to use a less expensive pizza stone so it is a common topic.
You might want to use parchment paper on the travertine tiles. 100% natural travertine is very difficult to find, as travertine is very porous and the holes are filled in with epoxy.
Very easy to find unfilled travertine. Home Depot, Lowes, mason or tile supply stores.

Back
Top Bottom