Looking at this smoker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that's what I was about to mention myself, I ran a search just last night in my city for only the word smoker and more than a few popped up.

That's where I found the 2 smokers in the pics above.There were several more in the city/burbs, but these were the only 2 that were less than $5000, and not complete scrap metal trash. Believe me, I will be checking craigslist daily, for the right cooker to come along!

I don't know man. It looks kinda rickety, cheap. You may want to look around a bit more. You also have the option of building your own. Find a cheap trailer, and a few 55 gallon drums. And it might turn out better, and cost you alot less.

I don't know man. It looks kinda rickety, cheap. You may want to look around a bit more. You also have the option of building your own. Find a cheap trailer, and a few 55 gallon drums. And it might turn out better, and cost you alot less.
You can make an EXCELLENT UDS for about $100 out of a drum. It's a vertical, not horizontal, but your capacity is basically only limited by your ingenuity.

Not sure why a smart person wouldn't want my dear Fred. He is up for adoption to a nice family this week for only 3,500. Bring an airtank. His tires look a little low.

The Lexington Collection
Did you forget our conversation the other day about me wanting a smoker that will draw customers? That thing (I'm sure it works great), is f-ing hideous!

You can make an EXCELLENT UDS for about $100 out of a drum. It's a vertical, not horizontal, but your capacity is basically only limited by your ingenuity.
My first smoker was made from a metal trashcan. a few inches of sand in the bottom, some brackets for the racks, I even drilled some holes to put a piece of rebar through it for a rotisserie. It was the same style my dad used for many, many years. (he now cooks on one of those digital Bradley puck smokers. I always tell him his food tastes like sawdust, but it's actually pretty good.) I don't really want to build a smoker, I suck at welding (or so I was told by my former coworkers at Cardinal Fence co.) I'm looking for a turnkey trailer smoker.

Even if you suck at it, you have other options still. Personally I would build my own, then it is the way you want it, not the way some jackass has done it. And doing it yourself, you know that it will work because you put your experiences into it. Even if you can't weld, you can always find someone that will weld for you, and it is usually at a pretty reasonable price.

Hideous huh? He draws up yups with money like a fly to honey. I will give you a bunch of trophies to glue on top. That should work. Let me know.

I thought it was a pic of a cleanup crew hauling a fridge away from an apartment fire! On closer inspection, that's a nice smoker. But ft worth is too far away for me.

Well best of fortunes on the hunt. Have you considered all the down sides to trying to cook on site? Where do a person wash hands and make poo etc? Not many right minded folks do it much. Hoping there is a serious shortage of health goons in your area and stuff like that.

Thanks BW! All ofthe food trucks I've looked at are equipped with a sink, Although,(legal) waste water disposal is a bit of a pain it looks like. As far as taking a dump, that will have to be done at the nearest place of business, no pooping (or peeing) in the sink! And like i said, I wasn't really planning on cooking a whole lot on site, we just want a smoker there kicking out some enticing aromas to hopefully draw some hungry customers.

Now that is a solid strategy. Smart thinking. Deucus tectum..which means in Latin.."bring it with you"..lol. Show pit to heat it up and put out some smells is a great plan.

Smoker #1 may be a bust, this morning I asked the lady if I could come look at it tonight, she said sure. Then I asked her if I could bring some wood an fire it up, to see how it works. She never texted me back....the search continues.

Can't believe she wouldnt let you test cook a few butts on there. Dang sellers are getting too snooty huh?

I know! Who would turn that down? I told her I'd even bring the beer and tater salad, and to make sure her old man wasn't around, we'd have a great time....
She never responded. whatever, her loss! But, seriously all I wanted was to get a fire going in it, And maybe do bobinfla's biscuit test, just to see if it is even a functioning cooker.

Anyways, I've given up on trying to buy a cheap used smoker on craiglist. I'm just going to spend the money for a new one. I Did some interweb window shopping, 2 stood out to me, the Lang 60" deluxe, or the Stump's RF 3x5. Both are around $3500. Does anyone here have any other suggestions, or experience with/opinions about the 2 smokers I mentioned?

I have owned enough offset creosote factories to know I do not want another. I vote for the Stumps. I love the way they try to obey the laws of physics on those things. Backwoods also makes a reasonable facsimile of a tight burning upright. Went to a little cookoff the other day and noticed several comp folks using and recommending some from this company. They make one which mounts into receiver hitch of the pickup. Looked very kewlish and handy. https://www.facebook.com/pages/R-O-Smokers/148655025229682

Lookey here, who just bought a Stumps...

No, it's NOT the RF 3 X 5 you mentioned. I do know someone in SouthEast Texas with a Stump's 3X5 for sale, though.

Tommy Chong and Dodgers pitcher Brian Wilson? Didn't know they were hunting/BBQ buddies.

Back
Top Bottom