Lobster help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Does lobster need to be grilled or steamed before you smoke it? Ive got a decent tail I wanted to try tonight. Thanks. db

dollarbill said:
Does lobster need to be grilled or steamed before you smoke it? Ive got a decent tail I wanted to try tonight. Thanks. db
I remember those. Back when I had hair and Larry could walk. The good ol' days. :(

dollarbill said:
Does lobster need to be grilled or steamed before you smoke it?

No.

If the tails are still in their shells, trim the membrane and discard it so the meat is exposed to the smoke. Cooking in the shell is better than cooking the meat bare, it will help preserve moisture AND help keep the meat sweet by preventing over-smoking.

Like all seafood, whether you're hot or cold smoking, it's best to brine lobster before smoking.

BDL

DO NOT SMOKE THE LOBSTER TAIL. Split it down the middle, expose the meat, little evoo, s&p and grill it quick. You want it almost medium rare. Keep natures goodness simple.

Larry Wolfe said:
DO NOT SMOKE THE LOBSTER TAIL. Split it down the middle, expose the meat, little evoo, s&p and grill it quick. You want it almost medium rare. Keep natures goodness simple.
Ummm???

What Wolfman sez. More of a GRILL it, not smoke it.

BOB

Oh yeah, right. I forgot shellfish doesn't smoke well. Neither does any sweet seafood. Smoke obscures the flavors of delicate white fishes like halibut, sturgeon and trout. We all know how lousy they smoke. And never cook fish on a live wood fire either. Charcoal only, or it might get too much smoke.

BDL

boar_d_laze said:
Oh yeah, right. I forgot shellfish doesn't smoke well. Neither does any sweet seafood. Smoke obscures the flavors of delicate white fishes like halibut, sturgeon and trout. We all know how lousy they smoke. And never cook fish on a live wood fire either. Charcoal only, or it might get too much smoke.

BDL

There's one thing more than I hate more than smoked lobster is the smartass who smokes the lobster. The question was about 'smoking lobster', not the other fish you mentioned in your sarcastic response. Are you any kin to Paddio Daddio or just an asshole? :roll: :roll:

After you split it, brush some melted butter on it then grill. It will add some nice flavor and almost falls out of the shell when you eat it.

Ok, Here's what happened. I drank a bunch of beer that night and decided to cook the lobster on a cast iron skillet. I covered it with the shell and let it steam inside the shell using butter and some olive oil. We recently went to Benne Hannas <spelling> and I had some kick ass lobster done on their big griddle so I tried to mimic that. It was flucking awesome! sorry not tryin to float my own boat.

Plated with some sprouts and a salad w/ a raspberry store bought dressing and some grapes that I should have sliced.

img_242911_0_0c718d899bf553c24d95e747a4a94e4f.jpg

That does look good. Not trying to sound like too much of an asshole here, but you can actually cold smoke virtually any type of shellfish/fish and with just a simple glaze come out with great results. Smoked Oysters are a good example. With have saying all of that, I would take grilled lobster over smoked lobster any day and yours looks fantastic.

Crabnbass said:
That does look good. Not trying to sound like too much of an asshole here, but you can actually cold smoke virtually any type of shellfish/fish and with just a simple glaze come out with great results. Smoked Oysters are a good example. With have saying all of that, I would take grilled lobster over smoked lobster any day and yours looks fantastic.

Agreed, but I'm pretty sure DB was not cold smoking. Smoked oysters and scallops are some of my favorites.

I tried smoking lobster once... the moisture made the paper fall apart and it was hell to keep lit. Maybe I should have let it dry a little longer! :LOL: :LOL:

Sounds like you in the market for a januine General MacArthur corn cob pipe here young man. A person can smoke a big old wet chunk of giant squid in one of them puppies..or seems like somebody hear Pig's say that one time..or something similar to that. Now my old yankee acquaintance who served Lobster in his restaurant always cook it in the microwave oven. Fine looking mess of crustaceans Buck.

bigwheel said:
Sounds like you in the market for a januine General MacArthur corn cob pipe here young man. A person can smoke a big old wet chunk of giant squid in one of them puppies..or seems like somebody hear Pig's say that one time..or something similar to that. Now my old yankee acquaintance who served Lobster in his restaurant always cook it in the microwave oven. Fine looking mess of crustaceans Buck.

Wish I had known that back then! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom