Lets do a KCBS informal apearance survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
Here is a picture of a Rib entry. Post the score you would give this entry and any comments or suggestions. Good or bad. I'll be honest with ya. It is my rib entry at Lynchburg last year. Just curious as to what you guys would score it and what you think. I don't have the actual scores in front of me at the present time. I will post em later. Give me all comments, good or bad.. you wont hurt my feelings. 8)

Maybe I shouldn't be showin this so close to Kings mountain.. but hey.. what the heck. :D

click for larger version

A primer for those not familiar with KCBS Scoring or competition for that matter might be in order here...

Niagara River Smoker said:
A primer for those not familiar with KCBS Scoring or competition for that matter might be in order here...

I agree with Bill's suggestion.

However with the best score being a 10, I'd say 8-9. As Raine stated, a little shine you'd be in the money! They're too pretty to eat! Fine job Gary!

Now I don't know noth'n bout judg'n no ribs... but I'd eat those.

When I clicked on the picture to enlarge, they looked better. and a little shinier
I tried looking good as I could, but couldn't make out a smoke ring. It's probably there, just couldn't see it in the picture.

you ain't cooking with gas are ya? just kidding

I'd give them an 8... probably more if I were seeing them in person.

Chris Finney said:
I tried looking good as I could, but couldn't make out a smoke ring. It's probably there, just couldn't see it in the picture.
There's my point exactly.

KCBS scoring

these are Juggys words from the other forum

"The scoring system is from 9 (excellent) to 2 (bad). All numbers between two and nine may be used to score an entry. Six is the starting point. A score of one is a disqualification and requires approval by a Contest Rep."

A score of 1 will not be accepted as I, your table captain and contest representative have deemed this a legal entry. There is no reason for this tray to be given a score of 1 as there are at least six identifiable and separate pieces, there is no "puddling" of sauce, and the entry is not sculpted. Please list your score in whole numbers only, as for example, a score such as 7.5 will be counted as an 8.

Please DO NOT look at what others have scored this tray before you post your score and comments and please do not list your score as a part of the title to your post. This is "blind" judging and you are bound by your honor as a judge not to let others influence your score. This tray should NOT be compared to any other tray of chicken you have seen before as this tray should be judged on its own merits.

Please justify your score with a short answer stating why the tray rated the score you gave. Your comments are what make this a learning experience for all of us.

You do NOT have to be a competition cook or BBQ judge to participate in this survey. Inexperienced judges are more than welcomed and are encouraged to participate.

What about a smoke ring or lack there of? Don't KCBS rules say that the smoke ring is a non-issue?

to Niagra... I THINK the smoke ring is a non-issue. I am still a newbie, so take that for what it is worth.

To Raine... Yes, I submitted it to Juggy. Just this morning. He has not yet responded. We'll see.

to Chris... GAS... Are you Mad? Geez man .. give me a little credit here.. hahahah :LOL:

TexLaw said:
I don't compete, I've never judged Q, and I don't know the guidelines. I looked around for the guidelines on the KCBS site and didn't find them fast enough. However, unless you're penalized for looking damn good, I would think those would score on the high end.

TL

I've been penalized my whole life for looking damn good. :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

TexLaw said:
I don't compete, I've never judged Q, and I don't know the guidelines. I looked around for the guidelines on the KCBS site and didn't find them fast enough. However, unless you're penalized for looking damn good, I would think those would score on the high end.

TL
That's probably the case with most here on this forum and it was my point. I, personally, think that surveys such as those posted by Juggy are a great way of promoting bbq, but everyone needs to know and understand the rules, be it KCBS, FBA, MIM, other. Juggy's surveys don't give people the rules, only his guidelines.

May I suggest a set of rules be posted and then survey's be posted using the same guidelines so that everyone is on the same page? If this is too formal or too much of a pita, just tell me to STFU! I'll go away quietly...

8)

Not being a judge myself, I would give them an 8. Probably could be a little shinier, and that rib on the right side looks out of place compared to the one on the left. Does that even count - symmetry? I would still inhale them, though.....

Rob

Niagara River Smoker said:
TexLaw said:

TL
That's probably the case with most here on this forum and it was my point. I, personally, think that surveys such as those posted by Juggy are a great way of promoting bbq, but everyone needs to know and understand the rules, be it KCBS, FBA, MIM, other. Juggy's surveys don't give people the rules, only his guidelines.

May I suggest a set of rules be posted and then survey's be posted using the same guidelines so that everyone is on the same page? If this is too formal or too much of a pita, just tell me to STFU! I'll go away quietly...

8)

Dude!.. Please please please note that this is an INFORMAL survey.. dont take it too seriously. I am just lookin fer comments, suggestions and the such... :D

I see alot of suggestions for "more shiney".. how do I acomplish this.. Spritz em before the turn in? More sauce? I don't usually like a whole lot of sauce drippn off those ribs. I think I did a final touch up brushing right before I closed the box on these.

Purely from a presentation point of view (and I know very little about pleasing judges, or people who post here for that matter, I'd say they look a little dry. I don't know if shiny is the answer I'd use, but shiny indicated moisture to me, and that is a crucial point of looking good in my book. From the picture, I can't see much of the interior meat at all,,,maybe I could if I could just hold the box up and see those side pieces better....but I'd like to see the contrast of the outside and inside
meat.

I know judges probably don't like to see a lot of sauce so you can't hide anything, but for eating purposes....I'd like to see more sauce on em!

Great job though, looks like there's a lot of meat on dem bones!

Hang around here more Gary, I'd like to do more stuff like this!

Hmmmm... I guess I'll rate it a 3, or maybe 4... Do you just throw that one out 'cause it's the lowest? Didn't see that in the rulez!! :p :p :p

Come on, Raine..Work WITH me..Not against me...Do you not see my point? :? :?

Never mind.......

I'll give you a 7 on looks. Like to taste them and give you a real score!
Finney, you been penalized for lots of things I'm sure, but your good looks wouldn't be one! :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Back
Top Bottom