Lets do a KCBS informal apearance survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niagara River Smoker said:
Hmmmm... I guess I'll rate it a 3, or maybe 4... Do you just throw that one out 'cause it's the lowest? Didn't see that in the rulez!! :p :p :p
OK, Revised...I'd give an "8 -" . . Could use a little more shine but damn!! They look pretty good!!

Raine said:
Larry KCBS scoring range is 2-9,

The scoring system is from 9 (Excellent) to 2 (Bad).
All numbers between two and nine may be used to score
an entry. 6 is the starting point.

Okay now that I know a bit of the guidelines I've give an honest answer the best I can without tasting.

With taste being a HUGE issue, I'll still give you a 7, with a bit more "bang" with the presentation you got an 8. If they taste even half as good as they look, plus the little "shine" in the presentation, you got a perfect 9.

Here's how I came up w/my answer.

1. Nice "looking" texture.
2. Ribs don't appear to be greasy, but look moist and not overcooked/dry.
3. Ribs appear to be nicely and evenly cooked (no blackness)
4. Ribs appear to be very meaty and nicely trimmed of excessive fat.

From an appearance standpoint only, add something to gain a bit of glare on the ribs. That is honestly the only thing I'd do differently if they were my ribs, without tasting them. I am not a competitor or judge, but those are some mighty fine looking ribs.

Hey Gary, now that a lot of us judged your ribs, you stated that these were the ribs you entered last year, what did the judges give them for a score?

They look like a 7, there are some things that could be done to make them score higher, use a glaze with some butter or honey for shine. You can build up the garnish so the ribs set up on top making the arraignment easier. Overall good turn-in.
Jim

I wonder if they "tasted" good?

I wonder if Gary had "fun?"

I wonder if they're gonna pull the Pope's feeding tube out?

Ok.. I checked my scores last night.. actually they werent as high as I thought they were. I still forgot to bring the tally sheet with me this morning, But, I do remember the apearance scores were 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8

so.. you guys were pretty much right on track with the scoring. I will try to boost up the "shine factor" the next time. thanks for all your input.

to woodman... Hell yes I had fun.. thats the name of the game.. I wouldnt do this otherwise. I have no "expectations" for getting my name called, so, it is an awesome feeling when I do.... as to your question if they tasted good.. I will say those particular ribs werent my best, but I liked em and have made a few minor changes in hopes to boost the taste factor. We'll see at KM in two weeks.

Thanks to all. and any additional comments are always welcomed. :D

Gary in VA said:
I will say those particular ribs werent my best, but I liked em and have made a few minor changes in hopes to boost the taste factor. We'll see at KM in two weeks.

Thanks to all. and any additional comments are always welcomed. :D

See, that's the thing...like the ribs I gave Bill....just got lucky one time, and now Bill thinks I can do that anytime, and at a contest! I'm sure it's fun, but as bad as you'd want to win, it must stink knowing that what you've spent hours preparing could have and usually would have been better!

Sounds like my golf game! ;-)

Well, Captain... I know that feeling.. Bill can attest to this. Last year at Kings mountain I was VERY disappointed in all the things I turned in. My ribs were overdone, brisket was dry, and the pork wasnt up to my usual standard. But, we hit the middle of the pack on most things, so we came away with a learning experience under our belts.

If you are interested in competing.. you just have to go do it. No matter where you place you should just have fun. Go in with that frame of mind and you will come out feeling good with whatever you might get.

I have the best time meeting new people and finally meeting the ones I have talked to on here.

Raine said:
Judges are shown the boxes 1 at a time, and the judges then score for presentation. Once all the entries have been scored for presentation, the boxes are passed to each judge for their judging samples. Then the judge scores first entry for taste and tenderness, then scores the next entry for taste & tenderness,so on. You score each entry on it's on merit and entries are not compared to another entry.

Does all this mean, essentially, that by the time last box (or earlier) gets tasted it's being tasted cold?

Back
Top Bottom