Last Butt cook for 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I had planned on injecting these (7.2lbs and 7.5lbs), but I ran short of time and they were still pretty firm (not quite frozen) from the freezer. Rubbed em' down with a good dose of WR Original, cooking over Kingsford and Hickory. I'm gonna have to rush these just a bit, cause they're for sammiches during the Skins finale. I'm also gonna throw on a rack of beef ribs and a fatty later this afternoon. I'll probably cook those on the Performer instead of firing up the other WSM.

Yeah! These butts are humming right along. Got them on at 6am, they're at 169* now at 11:30. Should be done in plenty of time before the 8pm kick off!

Thank you for answering my question without me even having to ask :). I too have two 7.5 lbs but to cook this weekend and I was wondering what time to put them on to have them done not too late at night.

Jon

JonM said:
Thank you for answering my question without me even having to ask :). I too have two 7.5 lbs but to cook this weekend and I was wondering what time to put them on to have them done not too late at night.

Jon

Jon, I'm cooking these a little higher than normal so they will be done in time. Typically figure approximately 2 hours per lb. Good luck and enjoy your pork!

Just so I got it straight if I get these things on at 6:00 your sayin they'll be ready to bring inside at 9:00pm? hmmm i'm thinkin I'm gonna have to get up a bit ealier

Thanks

Jon

JonM said:
Just so I got it straight if I get these things on at 6:00 your sayin they'll be ready to bring inside at 9:00pm? hmmm i'm thinkin I'm gonna have to get up a bit ealier

Thanks

Jon

Like Larry said, depending on the weight of the shoulder, I can have some shoulders go for 18 hours smoking at 200*-225*

We are buds but it's all in fun. The butts do look good I’m thinking about going to the store and get me some so I can feed the new toy that my wife got me.

JonM said:

Thanks

Jon

Jon in a perfect world, yes...........a 7.5lb butt will take roughly 15 hours. Could be longer or it could be less. Always start earlier and plan for a longer cook than it should take!

Puff said:
Pics?? Come on boy!

I don't take the lid off till I get a meat temp I like, then I test the meat at that point. The more you take the lid off, the longer the cook will take and I'm in a hurry!!!!!

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:
Pics?? Come on boy!

I don't take the lid off till I get a meat temp I like, then I test the meat at that point. The more you take the lid off, the longer the cook will take and I'm in a hurry!!!!!
The way they were cruisin' I thought they would have been done by now :?
Sorry, really I am ;)

Here's the pic's from the butts last night!! Turned out great. Sprinkled more rub into the pulled pork, then loaded onto a Kaiser roll, along with a good dousing of Reverend Marvins and then a mountain of slaw. Best pulled pork sandwich I've had in a while!! My wife also made potato salad, I have to give her props, it was just like my mom used to make it!!!

Back
Top Bottom