Lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, just trying to see what fits what. I did 3 shanks with smoke alone with 3 additions and it wasn't overpowering at all.

Yessir. In fact I had some last night. I'd like to focus on a larger piece of lamb/mutton like a whole leg or something of that size. Lamb is a low temperature meat that can be studded with garlic and cloves, wrapped with rosemary & thyme, and mopped with a strong hoppy ale, even a Belgian ale. Gorgeous flavours.

Lamb has a very bad reputation, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Same with goat. My Mum used to tell me it was because of the aroma it put out, but that's just fantastic. Rabbit literally made me ill in Switzerland. Not sure if it was how they prepared it, or that it just tasted awful as a game meat. I've had Kudu, Nyala, Alligator, and Zebra, but they were all in curries, with no apparently flavour of the meats coming through. Indian curries with mutton are probably some of my favourite dishes, as are Jamaican goat curries.

I've been investigating some alternative meats here in Ontario. I might be able to get some moose meat, bear meat, and venison. Ostrich is local, as are Llamas.

I have no idea where you get the idea that lamb has a very
bad reputation, as it's been eaten around the world for centuries.

Your last post reminds me of when I first bought Steven Raichlen's
Barbecue Bible. Great info on the basics of smoking and grilling
in the first 20 pages, followed by 200 pages of how Indians cook
bread on the inside of a clay pot, Iranians cook goat, etc.

Frankly, I'm just not interested in that. Zebra doesn't interest me
either. Perhaps there is another forum for that.

Ah locally not too many people eat it, which is strange due to the diverse population in Toronto. I hear many people talk about the smell of lamb being an issue.

Well kindly use your psch 101 to tell us why, prior till the evil white man arrived with Twinkies and Spam, Eskimoes/Inuits were the healthiest folks on earth eating a slurry of half rotten raw fish, seal bubber and an occaional chunk of a raw reindeer? Now if a person might notice they are some of the unhealthiest people on earth. Way high on all kinds of ailments. Cook stoves kill.

bigwheel

BeeRich said:
bigwheel, don't try to guess at science. It makes you look foolish. Cooking meat does indeed help digest meat. Eating raw meat doesn't mean it will digest itself. Where you got that lame-ass explanation, I have no clue. Minimal physiology in high school will probably do.

Psych, not psch. Biology, not Social Science. It has nothing to do with health. Proteases in meat don't aid in digestion. Digestion in a human happens after a severe environment. Health isn't based upon the ability to denature proteins. Nice stab, but far off.

Captain Morgan said:
Your last post reminds me of when I first bought Steven Raichlen's
Barbecue Bible. Great info on the basics of smoking and grilling
in the first 20 pages, followed by 200 pages of how Indians cook
bread on the inside of a clay pot, Iranians cook goat, etc.

Frankly, I'm just not interested in that. Zebra doesn't interest me
either. Perhaps there is another forum for that.

What's wrong with goat and zebra? We need to broaden our horizons. Chicken, beef and pork can get old after a while. :D

ok... back to ORIGINAL question.... lol

put that leg-o-lamb on your Weber, use lump and wood chunks, and only put it on when you get the weber to a steady 325*.. bout 18 minutes a pound.. OR until the meat reached 130, internal.. let sit, loosely foiled fur 30 minutes

ya a want a nice taste? make a basil pine nut pesto.... put a little bit on ONLY in the last 10 minutes, or so, and save some for after ya carve it, and drizzle it all over the carved meat after waiting 20 minutes// might also wanna lay a few lemon slices on it, after you rub it with a Herb De Provance type rub or paste

okay....it is so freakin simple :idea:

And.........ya don't need to know how to cook like you are on a tour bus in the Kalahari, and the bus broke, AFTER you read a book on digestive physiology, and the sun is going down, and all you hear in the background is the roar of wild animals!!!!! and you're looking for the nearest wild animal to cook :shock: wheather it be wabbit, or wildafreakinbeast :?

call me if ya nedd any help :roll:

Yesterday's Lamb cook was a huge success.
Took some tips from several of you.
Went without a water pan and used little smoke wood as per Gary. The cooker was smoking the whole time with only a piece of apple wood the size of a plum. I think it was coming from the drippings into the fire.
Ran the cooker temp around 340* to 350* per Nick.
Stabbed it many times and inserted sliced garlic (6 to 8 cloves) per Sapro.
Rubbed it with olive oil and gave it a med coating of Herbes de Provance suggested by Bobberqer.
Finished temps were up to 170* in some spots because of trying to get the center up to 135*.
The 8 pound roast cooked quickly (2 1/2 hours) and was foiled, wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler for a couple of hours.
The result was very, very tender and juicy meat with a great flavor.
As Bobberqer says, it's easy. Try it.
You would have to work at screwing it up.
I have some pics, but not PC loaded. Will post later. They are just shots of roasted meat...nothing special.

Back
Top Bottom