Kurobuta (Birkshire) Pork Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I had a Kurobuta pulled pork sandwich off a food truck the other day that was fantastic. It was set up as a panini sandwich and it had pickled red onions with some smoked Gouda cheese and a Chipotle-honey sauce.

Has anyone smoked Kurobuta pork butts? Wondering if they should be prepared or cooked differently than regular pork butts. I have a source for them in the San Diego area at $2.80 lb. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make the drive down there (about an hour) to pick up a couple of butts. Just wanted to see if there was any comments before I pointed my truck down the road to get them. :?:

Well I recall a thread about some kinda exotic butts a few months back. Maybe it was the kind like you got. Who knows? I ain't never heard tell of it and I have been to three county fairs and a goat roping. Now you can bet your booties you have made me want some. Hopefully somebody will know about it. Thanks.

bigwheel

I've tried the Berkshire Butts before and really didn't think the extra expense was worth it. Now That was shoulder/butt meat. From what I understand is that the heritage or heirloom pig breeds really shine on the so called leaner cuts. This is because the Berkshire pork has more marbling in the muscle than the modern hogs so it's moister and more flavorful. (supposedly)

Next time I try the Berkshire it'll be a bone-in loin roast or some chops.

This is the brand we have available to us locally...

http://www.betterpork.com/Eden_Farms/Eden_Farms_Berkshire_Pork.html

oompappy said:
I've tried the Berkshire Butts before and really didn't think the extra expense was worth it. Now That was shoulder/butt meat. From what I understand is that the heritage or heirloom pig breeds really shine on the so called leaner cuts. This is because the Berkshire pork has more marbling in the muscle than the modern hogs so it's moister and more flavorful. (supposedly)

Next time I try the Berkshire it'll be a bone-in loin roast or some chops.

This is the brand we have available to us locally...

http://www.betterpork.com/Eden_Farms/Eden_Farms_Berkshire_Pork.html
Thanks for the info. I can get the regular corn fed pork butts for $1.25 lb. so the Berkshire is more than twice the price at $2.80 a lb. I already picked up some butts so I guess I will be giving it a try so I can decide for myself. What you say does make sense though. Live and learn. :roll:

Well any pork that is fatter and mo flavorful than whut we get should be a good plan. Best hawg meat I ever had come from a 300 lb sow which had been raised all its life on the leftovers of a milking operation next door. Wowser..you talk about a nice flavored pig. Its flesh was snow white.

bigwheel

Greg Rempe said:
Thanks Greg. I called them about their pork butt and as it turns out, it's the butt and the picnic portion of the shoulder combined, bone and all. Not quite as good a value as two boneless butts together in a cryo pack.

I actually made the drive down to San Diego and picked up four butts. I will give a report on how they come out once I get to them. Their frozen solid and in my freezer right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom