kokanee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Not sure of the spelling.....My buddy just called and said he got 2 - 2 1/2 pounders hes gonna bring me. Caught today cooked tonight ...Now Im not a trout fan at all, but have bought and practiced with it before and wan to practice again with these. Anyone have a good smoked salmon recipe for 4 pieces 1lb. each salmon fillet? Should I split it if its only gutted? thanks

I think we seen a fella bring in a stringer of them things and we read up all about on the signs at the boatdock. Them crazy fish was at a lake up in Colarada. Was sorta betwixt Gunnison and some where else. They aint a true salmon but apparently a reasconable facimle thereof. Now if they are some form of trout I would watch out for the bones. Ever trout I tried to eat was fulla mo bones than a carp. Best of fortunes on the endeavor. Now if it is edible you could soak it in some Eyetalian dressing for an hour and hit with salt and peppa and throw it on the fire. That should work. Cook it till its done. Dont flip. Use a lid. There ya go. Now if they are fulla bones you will need to cook them like carp or canned Salmon. Which requires a pressure cooker and meat grinder etc. Let me know.

bigwheel

If it is a true kokanee, it's a landlocked red (sockeye) salmon, but I have never heard of them getting that big. The ones that I have caught and eaten are only around 14". A light salt and brown sugar brine should do the trick. I've always seen them fileted before smoking.

Well it turns out they were 2 nice rainbow trout....That SOB told me over the phone Kokanee "Ive got 2 kokanee for you"......Oh well, I smoked em up and gave them to different neighbors....hopfully they enjoyed them......Now Ive got to go get some salmon cause the wife was kinda excited!

Heres pics of the trout. I fillet one of them.

img_205917_0_79dff56302474ac175a5dddf5ccbff74.jpg

img_205917_1_2bb97162668bd28f87af56b5464ce047.jpg

Thanks Cap. I think the trick is adding 1 dead cottonwood leaf to the end of the fillet... :LOL: :LOL:

I didnt even see it till the fish was done...not sure how log it was there. :?

Sorry, I cant stand trout (or salmon)...yuk! Pain in th rear to eat and I just dont care for the taste......Id like to be better at smokin fish though.

Hard to get better at it when you don't like to eat it. I like to eat what I make, so I make what I like, or think I'll like anyway.

Nice looking fish. I like the cotton wood leaf idea. :shock: Kinda like putting a bay leaf in a chili or soup, huh?

Looking Good!
Never smoked fish before. Think I need to try. Are there any threads covering the basics of fish smoking? (Not Cold Smoke)

Back
Top Bottom