knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So you're primary use for the knife is taking down primal cuts and not so much for final food prep I take it? If that's the case, Forschner makes a decent line, or even Sams's club has a decent line of catering quality knives that I've used for a few years now. Also, Dexter Russell has a decent line for what you're looking for. The key is in keeping them sharp and using a honing steel before and during use. Especially if you plan on doing a fair amount of processing.

I have a few from every thing mentioned, I also have some from The Dollar Store that hold a edge longer than than the high dollar knifes.
Thing I look for is balance, and good steel so it won't loose a edge so quick.
Heck, I have two sets chef tony's too. :LOL: But they work.

Pigs

I have a Wusthof Culinar's 8" Chef Knife, 6" boning knife, and steel. I have never had sharpin them cept on the steel in 5 years.

I would go to a store that has all the above knives and hold them in my hand. Did alot of research on knives went to buy one set and didn't like the feel in my hand. Ended up getting another brand. Like pigs said balance in your hand means alot. Don't think you can go wrong with Henckels, Wusthof or Forschner. Even the better knife manufacutres have economy lines so do your reseach on price before you go. Just my 2 cents.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
I like these: http://www.jahenckels.com/

They keep a great edge and you can usually find them at a reduced price at places like http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/indexCatalogOff.asp

Thanks for the link Bill...I didn't know that Henckels bought Staub and Demeyere. My favorite pans are Demeyere Atlantis. They have the best saute pans I have ever used....they are very expensive tho. My saute is almost $300...but it even puts my All-Clad to shame!

When I lived in Seattle I lived about a block and a half from a restaurant supply store. The manager and I talked a lot and he told me that no knives are sold ready to use - at least by professional standards. Chefs and culinary students who buy knives take them immediately to be professionally sharpened. Only then are they really at their highest quality. Sure, they will cut - but they are intended to cut better. His words, not mine - but I believe him.

Well I don't know many Chefs cept the pimply faced kid who works down at Mickey D's. Wonder if he could qualify as a Chef.. :shock: Now whut I do know..and used to know a lot mo betta is butchers. They all use Forschners/Victornox and aint neva met one who ever sent out his knife to get sharpened..or admitted to it anyway. They carry a steel around with em and give it a few licks afore they start cutting. One old Winn Dixie butcher showed me a 10" curved scimitar which he called a steak or breaking knife...which he had used each work day for 30 yrs and have never bumped into anything other than the steel. He tried to sell for 20 bucks but it had wood handles and one of them was chipped. Thats why I got Fribrox handles on mine. He say the health goons don't like wood handles nowadays. Mighta been why he wanted rid of it. Who kinows?

bigwhee

monty3777 said:
When I lived in Seattle I lived about a block and a half from a restaurant supply store. The manager and I talked a lot and he told me that no knives are sold ready to use - at least by professional standards. Chefs and culinary students who buy knives take them immediately to be professionally sharpened. Only then are they really at their highest quality. Sure, they will cut - but they are intended to cut better. His words, not mine - but I believe him.

Well, if were talking high end knives, I'll take my Shun knives over any, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. And they come ready to use immediately. They get tested by having to cut through an apple by "dropping" the knife onto it and it has to slice all the way though it before sent out of the factory. I thought you were looking for an inexpensive knife for butchering???

Monty,

Where and when did you live in Seattle? I lived there from 98 to 00.

Tim

I know right where that is. I was station on the Polar Sea down at pier 36 down town. I know that store well though!!! Where are you now?

Tim

I found out a long time ago that the most important thing to consider, when buying knives, is how the handle feels in your hand. Having a super sharp blade doesn't matter much if it's not a comfortable fit.

Al

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom