Kettle Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I went grocery shopping yesterday and found some bone in butts on sale for $.89 lb. So I picked up 3 and decided at the last minute that I was gonna cook one (7lber) on the Performer this morning. I wanted to try my injection marinade but I didn't have the gumption at 4am to make it. So it's just rubbed down with Original Wolfe Rub. I'm using one charcoal basket with Kingsford and hickory chunks. I'll post pic's every so often to keep an update on the kettle cook.

Greg Rempe said:
Ah, very interesting, Larry! Will be interested to see how this tiurns out...good luck!! 8)

Me too, should save some charcoal in the process!!

Well I'm 2 hours into the cook. I started off with a full basket of coals and about 5 lit and two hunks of hickory. I just added another hunk of hickory and 10 more coals. Temps initially were running high in the 300* range, but now it's down in the 230* range.

Captain Morgan said:
First time you've done one on that grill?

Yeah, first butt on the Performer. I've done chucks on it before and the cook turned out great.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
You go Larry. Let me know what time to be there. ;)

Head on up now!! The beer is gettting ready to flow and I gotta flank steak marinading in Roasted Garlic/Teriyaki sauce that I'm gonna grill up in a bit for snacking!

I'm now about 4.5 hours into the cook. Butt is at 152* and the kettle is holding rock solid around 230ish. I've been adding about 10 coals every two hours. Looking and smelling good, can't wait for dinner time!

brian j said:
looks good larry. where's your drip pan? and i don't mean the one that goes under your lip. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:damnfunny

No drip pan, it'll go into the ash pan and the ashes will absorb it. Then I just throw it away. Besides, it'll keep the bottom from rusting! :LOL:

Unity said:
How have you got your vents set, Larry? I've never tried that slow a cook in a kettle.

--John 8)

Bottom vents are 100% closed and the top is 100% open. Seems to be chugging along perfectly for now.

Finney said:
I think Food Lion has them for $.99.

Cook is going good Larry....... Raichlen would be eating by now. LOL

Raichlen is queer, he get's off fast!

Looking good Larry! I have not tried to slow smoke a pork butt on a kettle grill. To some people that is the only way to slow smoked a butt is on a kettle grill something to do with the butt dripping and the coals in adding a nice flavor. Keep us informed.

Well sure agree with ya bout that old fat in the fire flavor..just cant beat it in my book. Now whilst the kettles is nice think about any cooking apparatus which is capable keeping a controllable fire under the meat where it belongs knows the same trick.

bigwheel

The Missing Link said:
Looking good Larry! I have not tried to slow smoke a pork butt on a kettle grill. To some people that is the only way to slow smoked a butt is on a kettle grill something to do with the butt dripping and the coals in adding a nice flavor. Keep us informed.

The butt is done! Took exactly 12 hours, bout the norm. Turned out great! I had the opportunity to try out some Sauce King Sauce of Chicago BBQ Sauce on my pulled pork sandwich! Let me tell you, this stuff is goooooooooooood! If you like a sweet but lil' tangy sauce to go with your pulled pork sammy, this is the sauce to try!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom