KCBS Comp rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rag said:
jminion said:
Rag said:
The safe move would be to saute, fry, or whatever, the meat, onions, etc. on an electric stove at home, finishing up with a completed sauce. Pour it into a bottle and take it to the comp. But don't try to make it on site in the spirit of the event. Got it !!

I don't agree that is needed, you can make the sauce at home but what advantage to have meat in your sauce at that point. We wrap and hold brisket, butt, ribs in foil and there is juices that can be used to add to the sauce prior to applying to the turn-in. It's legal and in the SPIRIT of the rules.

I personelly don't want to win knowingly breaking the rules and you don't need to.

Jim

I'm definitely not talking about breaking rules. I like (and do best at) making sauces from caramelized font in an iron skillet which has been deglazed with selected liquids. I just didn't want to step on an appendage by wielding a fry pan at a comp.

I would say that cast iron skillets are very common at comps and are one of the few types of pans that you can use on those 160,000 BTU burners without burning a hole in the pan. Shouldn't cause a problem to use one if you aren't using it to cook your meat.

Uncle Bubba said:
Don't you think you'd be better off doing the sauce the day before allowing the flavors to meld together for a day or so???

How are teams heating their sauces and whatever that have mobile homes, trailers, etc??? I used charcoal and my firebox fire to heat sauce at the Jack after I raised this question and no one seemed to have an answer. Sure as hell didn't like burning my arms like it did but didn't want to take any chances of being DQ'd. As long as you are cooking the 4 contest meats it should not be an issue how you heat whatever you are heating....just so long as it is not contest meat.

I think a definition or clear explanation of what you can or cannot cook in a boiling or near boiling substance, other than water, should be clarified...unless it already has in which case I apologize for my ignorance.

I thought you were seasoning the sauce with 'hair crispies'.

Rag said:
Uncle Bubba said:
Don't you think you'd be better off doing the sauce the day before allowing the flavors to meld together for a day or so???

How are teams heating their sauces and whatever that have mobile homes, trailers, etc??? I used charcoal and my firebox fire to heat sauce at the Jack after I raised this question and no one seemed to have an answer. Sure as hell didn't like burning my arms like it did but didn't want to take any chances of being DQ'd. As long as you are cooking the 4 contest meats it should not be an issue how you heat whatever you are heating....just so long as it is not contest meat.

I think a definition or clear explanation of what you can or cannot cook in a boiling or near boiling substance, other than water, should be clarified...unless it already has in which case I apologize for my ignorance.

I thought you were seasoning the sauce with 'hair crispies'.

Shhhhh... ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom