just reading good advice isn't enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
This board is a treasure-house of experience and wisdom, and we all profit from other people's hard-earned knowledge -- if we remember to act on it. :roll:

The back ribs I got on sale earlier in the week didn't seem quite right throughout the cook. Then as we were eating them, I noticed a salty taste that I didn't put there, and the word "hammy" came to mind. Reading the label -- FINALLY! -- I saw that they were "Self Basting," containing up to 12% solution of pork broth and other stuff. Yep, cured back ribs.

I was planning to give the second rack to the neighbors when they get back from a weekend trip. Not now, I'm not. I'm not even sure I'll eat them myself.

Read the label. If it says anything about added solution, pass.

--John
(I love ham, but not when I'm expecting ribs.)

Sux don't it? Freeze them and use them for beans.. That's all they are good for now.. :shock:

I feel for ya.

Its getting hard to find non-enhanced pork around here. Kings (kroger) didn't even have any fresh pork last time stopped in- all it "guarantee shot up like a junkie with upto x% solution. Guess I'm going to have start buying by the case at the butcher shop.

I just can't figger out how come yall are so anal about this enhanced pork stuff. If it didn't make it mo betta..they wouldn't enhance it. Simple huh? The pork we get nowadays is about as flavorful as the chickens we get which is tasteless. Got to do something to make it have a little flavor. Might as well brine it. Now I had just as soon let the meat packers do it. They know how to do it mo betta than me. This is a silly thread :shock:

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
I just can't figger out how come yall are so anal about this enhanced pork stuff. If it didn't make it mo betta..they wouldn't enhance it. Simple huh? The pork we get nowadays is about as flavorful as the chickens we get which is tasteless. Got to do something to make it have a little flavor. Might as well brine it. Now I had just as soon let the meat packers do it. They know how to do it mo betta than me. This is a silly thread :shock:

bigwheel

They do it to extend shelf life. More opportunity to sell it at full price before it has to be marked down. Just dollars and cents and bottom line.

Don't worry, eventually all the people who knew what real pork tasted like will be dead.........

ENHANCED MEAT IS BULLS*IT :(-

As John says, Sam's Club has a good Spare, (the flats suck), but through Trish's habit of reading labels I have begun to watch the stuff in my purchase :!:
Yeah, the salt or other junk squirted into the meat at the processors tend to only extend the shelf life.
I want MY flavor in the meat,not some "Scientist" on a mission to preserve meat for months...
I love to eat and want natural flavor, not a "preserved" flavor if you will... if it's Crap I want I'll go to one of the "fast food places or to an ordinary sit-down cafe that uses this stuff ;)
Just my honest opinion!

My Grandfather always used to say, "The man that never made a mistake, never made anything"! Then he'd look at you and scratch the whiskers on his chin, tilt his head a little to the side and add, "The man that never made a mistake and learn from it, often doesn't make that many big mistakes"!

So on the bad side you made a mistake, on the good side you won't make that mistake again in a hurry, and that means you'll live a whole lot longer! ;)

SoEzzy said:
My Grandfather always used to say, "The man that never made a mistake, never made anything"! Then he'd look at you and scratch the whiskers on his chin, tilt his head a little to the side and add, "The man that never made a mistake and learn from it, often doesn't make that many big mistakes"!

So on the bad side you made a mistake, on the good side you won't make that mistake again in a hurry, and that means you'll live a whole lot longer! ;)

Well said...

SoEzzy A Bear (the cajun name) is spelt "Herbert"

Last night was leftover night, the tail-ends of 4 dinners. I went ahead and ate the hammy ribs -- it was the easiest option. They weren't bad with some Head Country Hot. That's real good sauce.

--John

Back
Top Bottom