Just bought a WSM!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
Well, I been meaning to buy one of these things for years. Fact is, I would occassionally like a turkey, ham, brisket, meatloaf, ABT's , etc without firing up my large pit Texas Hottie! I started out on an ECB, but am looking forward to cooking on the Cadillac of bullet smokers. I'm doing a ham for a party my wife is having next week and I think I'll do some ABT's too! I feel like a kid again! I am sure to have some questions from you "experts!" Better start reading up on that "Onion" method........

Happy Thanksgiving Wooman, let me know how you like the WSM, like you I want to get something to just do a few things without firing up the wood burner but never used one and don;t know how good I'd be with it.

Congrats Dave, bought time you forget that size matters!

Here's a simple turkey/ham cook for you to try to break in the WSM

It's about time Dave!! 8)
Lots of us use the onion method and will be glad to help you along. :LOL:

Well, I now know what you mean by the WSM 'tightening up' after plenty of use. It was so tight that I couldn't get the lid off the middle section for almost a minute of banging on the driveway. It finally came off. It has been solidly holding temp between 300-325 for the last 3 hours with my turkey in it with all vents 100% open. It had spiked at 400 prior to me putting the turkey in, but I have swapped out the middle sections because I left grease in the pan and it was easier to just swap with a clean mid section. I love my WSMs. I wish they were a little wider, so I might try the new one. But it would be nice to have a larger cooker for doing big cooks. For small cooks, these things are great. Just ask for advice. Don't be afraid to try things. They are virtually foolproof. So easy to use, even a drunk caveman can figure it out. Doh!!! :shock:

Well I was wanting one of them WSM's then I seen a King Sized one today. I axe myself..Self whut could be mo fittin for a native Texan in good standing than a King Sized ECB with a fancy paint job. I hope they make an electric heating element for it. Tell ya I have got totally addicted to that electricity. I dont see why the Electric Company cant put Kingsford plumb outta bizness.

bigwheel

WildFireEric said:
I love my WSMs. I wish they were a little wider, so I might try the new one. But it would be nice to have a larger cooker for doing big cooks. For small cooks, these things are great. Just ask for advice. Don't be afraid to try things. They are virtually foolproof. So easy to use, even a drunk caveman can figure it out. Doh!!! :shock:

There is a great picture of the new one next to the old style one in the General discussion forum. Under the category "New WSM" . ;)

Well, so far those doofuses at Amazon have not been able to ship a cooker that was in stock and ordered on 11/28 yet! I am getting worried about this weekend. I guess I'll have to haul out the pit!!!

Way to go , you will enjoy the WSM`s. I plan on ordering 2 of the new 22 1/2 inchers after the first of the year , they will make a nice addition to the 2 smaller size ones we use now to compete with. Now that I got 2 team mambers down , Niki with malignant ovarian cancer( who is getting along nicely , no naeusea) , and Ken Phelps who had a pacemaker put in. I have plenty of time to practice and get ready.

Well, I ordered it on the 27th . It showed, "in stock" and it still hasn't shipped 7 days later!!!!!! I was planning on cooking a large ham and ABT's for a party we are having this Saturday! I sent a terse e-mail to Grady's Ace Hardware (Amazon's vendor) telling them that 7 days to ship an item in stock is inexcusable! If I don't hear from them by noon, I am cancelling the order and giving up my membership in TVWBB!!!! At this point, they know I am a little pissed. If I am customer service manager there, it would be going out NDA TODAY!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom