Just A Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Friend dropped it off asked me to do it up next time I had a smoker going.

img_219442_0_352f342dc332b6e09fe94d5d8058508a.jpg

Used a cherry rub, cherry wood and a little pecan. Don't know how it tasted as it went home with him when it was done. No pic of the pork butt, but you all know what they look like any way.

Pigs

Hey Pigs, great looking turkey. You said you didn't use a water pan on birds. About what temperature was it smoking at, about how long before it was done and did the skin come out crispy? Love the color on that turkey.

The reason I'm asking is that my son is getting married towards the end of June and he asked that I bring some Q to the reception. I'm thinking of smoking some turkey breasts, letting them cool and then slicing them prior to brining them there. Everything has to be prepared in advance. There's no facilities at the event so everything has to be heated a few hours in advance, carted there and then put in chafing dishes as people start to arrive. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Lew, it can get a little crazy when you first fire it up. I use a full chimney of lump with the vents wide open. When the temp hits about 400F I completely close all 3. Then when it settles down to about 350F I add wood. Top vent wide open all the time. I then put what ever poultry on and let it roll. After a hour it hangs around the 250F-275F range. That was a 12lb bird and took about 2.5 hours (no peaking) yanked it off at 165F and double foiled it. skin was crisp, not sure what it was like after my friend got it home. I'll check with him and get back to you. When I do this for the wife and me there is no foil involved and the skin is great, nothing worse than rubber skin poultry. You really have to keep a eye on it when doing duck, be it wild or farm razed Muscovy ducks. When doing duck I put the water pan in empty. Then do fresh cut french fryes in the duck grease. YUM!

Pigs

Man! That is a beautiful bird. I was already hungry and thinking I'd skip lunch being busy and all but, now I have to go get something to eat.
Fantastic!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Lew, it can get a little crazy when you first fire it up. I use a full chimney of lump with the vents wide open. When the temp hits about 400F I completely close all 3. Then when it settles down to about 350F I add wood. Top vent wide open all the time. I then put what ever poultry on and let it roll. After a hour it hangs around the 250F-275F range. That was a 12lb bird and took about 2.5 hours (no peaking) yanked it off at 165F and double foiled it. skin was crisp, not sure what it was like after my friend got it home. I'll check with him and get back to you. When I do this for the wife and me there is no foil involved and the skin is great, nothing worse than rubber skin poultry. You really have to keep a eye on it when doing duck, be it wild or farm razed Muscovy ducks. When doing duck I put the water pan in empty. Then do fresh cut french fryes in the duck grease. YUM!

Pigs
Hey Pigs, sounds like you got it down. I never thought about fries in the water pan or doing duck for that matter. That's something I'm putting on my list for sure. Thanks for the turkey lesson. I'm going to try that for myself.

Vermin999 said:
Great looking turkey. I would have at least taken a turkey leg for payment.

It will work out John. He goes fishing all the time, and gives me fish. (don't think he goes fishing as much as Sapo :LOL: ) Plus he is a gun dealer and runs all the gun shows around here so I get a discount on ammo or what ever I want. :D

Pigs

Hey Pigs which part of the bird is you bringing to 165? Here in God's Country that would generally be considered over done for the breastes and still a little bloody for the thighs. Dont make me come up there. Thanks.

bigwheel

Well if aint nobody naggin that is a good sign. Lowest I have been consistently brave enough to try is 175 which happens to be the same finish temp for split chickens.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom