Junior Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I was gonna make a pot of chili today, but since I woke up at 4am for no apparent reason I decided to cook the brisket I planned to freeze today. This is a 7lb flat on the Primo Jr., using Royal Oak and hickory for fuel and Wolfe Rub Bold for the rub. Gonna cook to 160-165* and foil until 190* then rest for 3-4 hours. I haven't been foiling briskets for a while, but I don't like the inconsistent results of not foiling. So I'm going back to what I like best!

Try the paper bag......That is were I am headed.

It would be nice to have someone else do a test brisket for a change...Then you can tell ME about it. :LOL:

Briskets done..................................flavor is outstanding....................appearance ehhh.........someone stole the smoke ring too....................good eating, not comp worthy though.

John A. said:
Good eating is the most important thing. What do you suppose happened to the smoke ring, foiling?

Don't know John............haven't been able to get a decent SR on the Primo's for some reason. I cook exactly as I do on the WSM's, just no SR. It's something I'm doing wrong, because I have alot of friends that cook on Primo's and BGE's and they get SR's. I'll eventually get it right or I'm gonna cook on my WSM's!

Looks good to me. Brisket is still one of my favorites.

Hmmm.... I have two briskets in the freezer it may be time to make chili.

wittdog said:
Is the cooker running hot early..that could be one reason for a lack of a smoke ring..

Nope, kept the cooker under 200* for over an hour. Meat was straight from the fridge too.

wittdog said:
Wood burning up instead of kind of smoldering? could also be humidity...look as it tasted good

As far as taste, it was fantastic. It was a little too tender for comp turn in though. Still had some half burnt wood left.

Here's my rationale after my many hours brainstorming and comparing my notes with other Primo users. I think I am not lighting enough charcoal and that is the reason I am not getting much if any smoke ring. I light the lump right in the center until I get a flame, add wood and meat and let the cooker slowly slowly slowly come up to temp from there. Basically the same way I do on the WSM. When I'm done with a long cook with a full firebox of lump, I end up maybe at the most burning about two handfuls of lump. That's a good thing from an efficiency stand point, but.................I don't think there's enough chemical reaction going on with the small amount of coal being burnt. So in my conversations with other Ceramic users I have learned a little, I think. So on my next cook I am going to light several spots throughout the cooker and see if that helps produce a better smoke ring. It makes sense to me that with more coal burning even though I'm cooking at the same temp, that there is more "stuff" in the air around the meat to produce a more prodominent smoke ring. So I will try it soon and see if it makes any difference.

If that doesn't work I don't have a clue other than adding a couple Kingsford Briquettes to put some nitrates in the air to help produce the SR. Because I'm using the same amount of wood, if not more than I was in the WSM's and I'm cooking exactly as I do on the WSM. Only difference is I'm using ALOT less fuel and that has GOT TO BE THE DETERMINING FACTOR! And people ask me why I drink??? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom