Jerky help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

007bond-jb

Master Chef
I got some left over eye O da round, umm bout 2lbs cooked but only med rare. Iaint never made no jerky before but have read yalls posts. I sliced into kinda tin strips, dumped some worstershire & bout 2 tsp black pep. wit some liquid smoke (jus a little) should I add salt? how long do it marrinade for? Its in the fridg in a zipped lock bagg

If you put it on the smoker try and keep the temperture low...low...low. About 170 or so. Use a small amount of charcoal an a little chunk or so of wood for the smoke flavor. Sprinkle some Tony's Chachere's on it when you are ready to smoke it. I usually use my electric sausage maker smoker when I do jerky. I also have a box smoker. Here is a few pictures of sausage and jerky making experiences I've had.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Sausage/

brian j said:
can you make jerky out of meat that has already been cooked??? i didn't think it was possible but i'm no jerky expert.
Guess we will find out. jb, let us know how it goes. Heck ya never know, he may be on to some thing.

The food network had jerky made by Alton Brown last night.

He was making it from raw but almost frozen meat, one of his strongest points was that if you use a dehydrator, you don't get as good a result as you would do if you use a fan and filters.

He was almost freezng the raw meat in order to make it cut cleaner.

He then marinaded the sliced beef in a honey, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, there were other ingredients too I just went blank trying to remember them.

He marinated for at least 3 hours and normally up to 8 hours.

They were then patted dry between paper towels, and he used common cellulose air filters, (99 cents from Wal-Mart, note cellulose filters NOT fiberglass filters), for your heater or air conditioner. He used three of them to put the meat on and then covered them with a fourth filter.

He attached the 4 air filters to the front of a Box fan with bungee cords and set the fan turning, pointing it out a window if you don't like the smell too much, (as if a bbqer wouldn't like the smell of air drying meat), I think he said 6 - 8 hours drying.

Then store in a glass container with rooom for air circulation.

Duh! Just thinking about it made me Google Alton Brown Jerky and here is the top recipe Jerky.

Back
Top Bottom