Ive got issues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Well, besides the obvious..

I filled my wsm, dropped about 8 lit charcols in a "bowl" in the center..closed down the vents at 200 (2 closed, 1 open 1/4 and the top wide open)...now have all the vents closed and the top one open half and am still cranking along at the high 267... I hear you guys talking about 220/210..I havent seen it...

I put my brisket in at 54 degrees two hours ago and its at 113 now...

Aaannnndd..when I went to cut the point off my flat, it appear'd that there was three pices of meet running three differant directions (sort of like it was the end cut if theres such a thing) I seasoned the whole thing and threw it on..It'll probably be the best brisket Ive ever done...lol :) :) :)

john pen said:
Well, besides the obvious..

I filled my wsm, dropped about 8 lit charcols in a "bowl" in the center..closed down the vents at 200 (2 closed, 1 open 1/4 and the top wide open)...now have all the vents closed and the top one open half and am still cranking along at the high 267... I hear you guys talking about 220/210..I havent seen it...

I put my brisket in at 54 degrees two hours ago and its at 113 now...

Aaannnndd..when I went to cut the point off my flat, it appear'd that there was three pices of meet running three differant directions (sort of like it was the end cut if theres such a thing) I seasoned the whole thing and threw it on..It'll probably be the best brisket Ive ever done...lol :) :) :)

John just let it chug away for now and open that top vent all the way!! 267* for a little while ain't bad. If you have the bottom vents shut down the temps will eventually start to drop. I cook at a dome temp in the range of 240-260* and that'll give you a top grate cooking temp of 225-245*.

One more thing, make sure you don't have any gaps where the mid section meets the bottom bowl, if you do you can have more air going into the cooker than you want. If you notice a gap just twist the mid section until it evens out.

John, where are you measureing your pit temp. at? Dome, top grate or lower grate? Just like Larry said, dome temp that high is nothing to worry about. When I put my sections together every time, I twist them a little so that the grease seals nice at each section.

Well, I fell asleep with every thing just about closed. Woke up and the temp about 6 inches down from the top had dropped to 196. I opened the top vent and cracked one bottom and it seems to be sitting at around 135. At about 5 1/2 hours, my meats at 159.

I hang my temp probe through the top vent hole.

john pen said:
Well, I fell asleep with every thing just about closed. Woke up and the temp about 6 inches down from the top had dropped to 196. I opened the top vent and cracked one bottom and it seems to be sitting at around 135. At about 5 1/2 hours, my meats at 159.

I hang my temp probe through the top vent hole.

I hope thats a typo and you meant 235.

Brisket came out at around 6ish..rested for an hour...was actually pretty good...pictures to follow..The brisket was pretty wierd. It had a big point and then another flap under it like you might find on the top of ribs. All in all pretty tasty...

Ive got a fattie finishing now...(my first)...

As promised...

The cheese and proscutta (sp?) sort of melted into the sausage leaving a great flavor. no ring on the fattie but still a nice subtle smoky flavor..

Note - pics resized !

Brian, What size do you have around your parts ? Its tough to find one over 8 lbs around here sometimes...

I've got a guy....lol

They are a little pricey, but have been good. The last one's I did came from Wilson Beef House in the Southern Tier. They were ok, but not as good as my guy up here. I have to meet him in an alley at midnight...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom