Ive got issues... - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Ive got issues...

Well, besides the obvious..

I filled my wsm, dropped about 8 lit charcols in a "bowl" in the center..closed down the vents at 200 (2 closed, 1 open 1/4 and the top wide open)...now have all the vents closed and the top one open half and am still cranking along at the high 267... I hear you guys talking about 220/210..I havent seen it...

I put my brisket in at 54 degrees two hours ago and its at 113 now...

Aaannnndd..when I went to cut the point off my flat, it appear'd that there was three pices of meet running three differant directions (sort of like it was the end cut if theres such a thing) I seasoned the whole thing and threw it on..It'll probably be the best brisket Ive ever done...lol

john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #2

Re: Ive got issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pen
Well, besides the obvious..

I filled my wsm, dropped about 8 lit charcols in a "bowl" in the center..closed down the vents at 200 (2 closed, 1 open 1/4 and the top wide open)...now have all the vents closed and the top one open half and am still cranking along at the high 267... I hear you guys talking about 220/210..I havent seen it...

I put my brisket in at 54 degrees two hours ago and its at 113 now...

Aaannnndd..when I went to cut the point off my flat, it appear'd that there was three pices of meet running three differant directions (sort of like it was the end cut if theres such a thing) I seasoned the whole thing and threw it on..It'll probably be the best brisket Ive ever done...lol
John just let it chug away for now and open that top vent all the way!! 267* for a little while ain't bad. If you have the bottom vents shut down the temps will eventually start to drop. I cook at a dome temp in the range of 240-260* and that'll give you a top grate cooking temp of 225-245*.

One more thing, make sure you don't have any gaps where the mid section meets the bottom bowl, if you do you can have more air going into the cooker than you want. If you notice a gap just twist the mid section until it evens out.

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Saint O'Que

You should be fine. You are about right with the 113 degrees. Here is a chart of a brisket cook I did a few weeks ago. I don't know if you can see the numbers well but I hope you can make most of it out.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Bris ... 3Chart.JPG

My box temperature bounced around alot because I was learning to use all wood after the initial startup.
cleglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #4

John, where are you measureing your pit temp. at? Dome, top grate or lower grate? Just like Larry said, dome temp that high is nothing to worry about. When I put my sections together every time, I twist them a little so that the grease seals nice at each section.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #5

Well, I fell asleep with every thing just about closed. Woke up and the temp about 6 inches down from the top had dropped to 196. I opened the top vent and cracked one bottom and it seems to be sitting at around 135. At about 5 1/2 hours, my meats at 159.

I hang my temp probe through the top vent hole.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pen
Well, I fell asleep with every thing just about closed. Woke up and the temp about 6 inches down from the top had dropped to 196. I opened the top vent and cracked one bottom and it seems to be sitting at around 135. At about 5 1/2 hours, my meats at 159.

I hang my temp probe through the top vent hole.
I hope thats a typo and you meant 235.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #7

yes, sorry...235
Old 05-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Saint O'Que

It sounds like you are right on schedule.
cleglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #9

Brisket came out at around 6ish..rested for an hour...was actually pretty good...pictures to follow..The brisket was pretty wierd. It had a big point and then another flap under it like you might find on the top of ribs. All in all pretty tasty...

Ive got a fattie finishing now...(my first)...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
BBQ Centralite

Throw that piece of junk out!