It's Wed. morning, and I've got 2 in the smoker!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2b26msui][quote="Love2<º><":2b26msui]Second bag for this cook Larry.

I forgot, what kind of cooker do you have? Charbroil offset right?
Charcoal eating. 8-[[/quote:2b26msui] :lmao: That is alot of charcoal consumption for 5 hours of cooking.[/quote:2b26msui]

its a Brinkman PITMASTER. Its an offset smoker. The exhaust is full open, the vent at the firebox is about 2/3-7/8 closed.

wittdog said:
Try a smaller but higher pile of charcoal. In one of your pics it looked like the charcoal was spread out. Which IMO will make it burn hotter and faster, if it's piled up it will burn slower and last longer. What position are you vents in?

Thanks dog. I'll have to try this out.

Love2<º>< said:
wittdog said:
Try a smaller but higher pile of charcoal. In one of your pics it looked like the charcoal was spread out. Which IMO will make it burn hotter and faster, if it's piled up it will burn slower and last longer. What position are you vents in?

You might want to look into a charcoal basket also. And... lighting the charcoal using the minion method if you're not already.

Love2<º>< said:
wittdog said:

I used to have one similar. What I used to do was when I was just using charcoal and the charcoal was lit. was to close the exhaust till it is just opened up a crack this will help you maintain heat. Right now all your heat is going out the stack. Some of these guys will probably never do something like this but I have done it and If the charcoal is lit and you aren’t using wood you don’t have to worry about creosote (SP) that bitter taste on your meat. I’ve done the same thing on my new SFB at the end of a cook when I’m not looking for more smoke flavor and just using charcoal, and I haven’t had any issues. It’s no different then an indirect method of cooking on a kettle grill. With the smaller pile of charcoal and having the exhaust only open a crack you will burn less charcoal.

Finney said:
Love2<º>< said:
wittdog said:

You might want to look into a charcoal basket also. And... lighting the charcoal using the minion method if you're not already.

Not familiar with the minion method. I used a chimney and poured the hot coals on on top of the unlit coals in the firebox.

I've been wanting a charcoal basket but I havent seen them anywhere for sale. I've been thinking of making one, Not sure what kind of cutting tools I would need for the metal mesh.

Love2<º>< said:
Finney said:
[quote="Love2<º><":eek:dfn8avh]
wittdog said:

Not familiar with the minion method. I used a chimney and poured the hot coals on on top of the unlit coals in the firebox.

I've been wanting a charcoal basket but I havent seen them anywhere for sale. I've been thinking of making one, Not sure what kind of cutting tools I would need for the metal mesh.[/quote:eek:dfn8avh]
A dremel tool will do it if need be.

A jig saw and a metal blade will cut the expanded metal with no problem. A friend just made one for me. He cut a long piece of expanded metal and bent it around to make a box. He then welded it on the one side to make the four sides of the basket. The bottom was already cut. He welded it together and it was done.

Here's a post from another forum on one built without having to weld it together.
http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/topic ... IC_ID=4733

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":31f9wmv4]hey I played poker last night too, but only till 10:30. I also got up at 5 am. wierd.

When you rolled over this morning was Nick there?[/quote:31f9wmv4]

Huh? #-o

Love2<º>< said:
Finney said:
[quote="Love2<º><":10zp2955]
wittdog said:

I've been wanting a charcoal basket but I havent seen them anywhere for sale. I've been thinking of making one, Not sure what kind of cutting tools I would need for the metal mesh.[/quote:10zp2955]
The minion method simplified:
1) fill cooker with unlit charcoal (basket would help), open dampers all the way
2) light approx 15 coals in a charcoal chimney until ashed over
3) put lit coals on unlit coals
4) when temp reaches 10 - 20* from target temp close dampers down to your normal cooking position

This should give you an extended burn time over what you are getting with your std light up.

Love2<º>< said:
5 hours, 15 minutes and its smells goooooood!!!!

Im on my second bag of royal oak. I didnt see much of a decrease in fuel consumption from last week.
Did you modify the smoker at all?

Love2<º>< said:
Finney said:
[quote="Love2<º><":1qnc1s5e]Im at 8 hours now and the meat temp is steady at 154F for the last 1 1/2 hour.
Welcome to the plateau. Enjoy your stay. :(

LOL! Thanks. Do I get a T-shirt? How long does the plateau last?[/quote:1qnc1s5e]
Yes. Larry mails them out but some people say they never get them.

Plateau lasts until the fat is rendered. Who knows how long? This is the magic time :spell: ... don't rush it.

Finney said:
Love2<º>< said:
Finney said:
[quote="Love2<º><":1vtinig2]Im at 8 hours now and the meat temp is steady at 154F for the last 1 1/2 hour.

LOL! Thanks. Do I get a T-shirt? How long does the plateau last?
Plateau lasts until the fat is rendered. Who knows how long? This is the magic time :spell: ... don't rush it.[/quote:1vtinig2]

Mean, just plain old mean! Funny too! :lcry: :lmao:

Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Love2<º><":d65y62k3]
Finney said:
[quote="Love2<º><":d65y62k3]Im at 8 hours now and the meat temp is steady at 154F for the last 1 1/2 hour.

LOL! Thanks. Do I get a T-shirt? How long does the plateau last?
Plateau lasts until the fat is rendered. Who knows how long? This is the magic time :spell: ... don't rush it.[/quote:d65y62k3]

Mean, just plain old mean! Funny too! :lcry: :lmao:[/quote:d65y62k3]
What?!?!?!?! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom