It's getting out of hand!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiles

Senior Cook
I'm hooked. So far, in the past month I have obtained:

1. Two thermapens (Thermoworks)
2. Cambro MP300 warming / cooling box
3. Two Webber WSM's (one for me, one for my dad)
4. Several cans of Dizzy rubs
5. A case of Headcountry rub and sauce
6. 4 Weber rib racks

What in the heck am I getting myself into? Get ready guys, you just may see me at a competition near you.

Where can I find out about a judging / competition school in my area?

Chiles

wtf

Hang on there. You haven't even started!!!!!
The 3rd year of smokin', I spent $35,000.00 on smokers and the equipment to pull them and smoke with them.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

Yeah, you have me beet by a long shot. My day job will only let me get but so deep into this. Prior to this, I had purchased the Lang cooker, two folding tables and a 10x10 tent. I need to get another 10x10 tent and a sign made for it.

As I write this, I remember that many of competitors that have walked had just the WSM's and a lot of talent. I still have a long way to go on my learning.

Chiles

Well just this year I've bought 2 WSMs and had one given to me (lucky me) a 10x20 canopy, 3x9 banner, 3 temp probes, and a load of various prep equipment, Oh yea and 5 custom embroidered chefs coats (we have to look good NOT going on stage). I also for-see a motorhome in the very near future and a mobile smoker in tow.

"Hello" my name is Rooster, and I have a BBQ addiction

Ok then this is what I have purchased in the last year:

2 WSM's
1 Pro BBQ
1 Weber KEttle Gold
1 Traeger

1 amazing 8 x 3 ft banner

10 water pans that I like
12 probes (8 are mavericks)
24 BBQ brushes (got them on clearance)
15 bottles of sauces in Detroit
22 bottles of sauces from New York
10 cases of ribs to practice
40 chickens to practice
I can't remember how many butts or briskets but it is a lot
4 Napoleon rib racks

3- 10x10 shelters
1- 10x 20 car garages
2-tents

24 black t-shirts
25 black transfers (I made my own shirts for family & friends)

Rubs well honestly I have lost count of how many I have bought mostly I make my own.

400 Jalapenos to make ABT's

4 BBQ books

6 folding tables
4 folding chairs

1 army cot

Honestly this list could go on forever but those are just my basics

I probably ought to keep my mouth shut, since I've kept things very reasonable for the past year and a half or so. My extravagances have been small and not barbecue specific.

I bought a few Nogent style knives from The Best of Things. For those of you who care about knives I can very highly recommend both the Nogent and the Sabatier (Thiers-Issard) carbon steel knives sold there. http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier.htm If you're interested in putting together a set of European carbon knives, you should also look at Sabatier K knives. http://www.sabatier-k.com/uk/index.php? ... Ywod9zKl6Q You can (sort of) see examplars of each in my avatar. All of these are very good performers. The Nogents especially are light, agile, and take and hold a great edge. Great performers at a reasonable price for the level of quality -- and all of them historically significant. Face it, despite its performance advantages, carbon steel is gone from all but the specialty markets.

FWIW, the best knives made of the best steel are Japanese not European, No. Not even German. Not to say there aren't wonderful German and Swiss knives at all price ranges. Japanese knives in the western style (wa-deba) are usually made in French (as opposed to German) shapes, and are made of proprietary rather than "world" steels. These shapes are lighter, more agile, and have a straighter edge which work better with a slight push cut as opposed to the rock-chop a German rounded belly favors. The steels used by Japanese manufacturers for their good lines are much, much, much harder than world steels, and have been modified to prevent chipping. In a way, this segues back to the Nogents. The Nogent blanks were made in the twenties and thirties long before anyone ever thought of world steel. Consequently, HRC is mid to high fifties.

My personal knives are Sabatiers rather than Japanese for a few reasons. I started with Sabs as my first good knives back in the late sixties. I switched to Henckels in the mid seventies because I wanted stainless and a heavier knife. But in the eighties, when I sharpened up one of my old Sabs as a goof -- I never went back. This is all before you could get Japanese western-style knives. And there's the money. Top line Japanese knives are incredibly expensive. I can't imagine a lighter, more agile knife than the Nogents, nor a more useful knife than the "K" or Thiers-IIssard chef and slicing carbons.

A knife is no better than its edge, and even the best factory edge (with which my knives were not supplied!) eventually dulls. And that takes me to my next set of purchases: sharpening stones. I'm an experienced free-hand sharpener, but had been uisng a Chef's Choice 100 for the past four years, as my old stones had been lost in a move and because I was living in apartments and wasn't using tools the Chef's Choice was all I needed. Well we moved to a house a couple of years ago and the Chef's Choice finally got clogged this winter. Besides, at its best it was only adequate, never great.

So I had the opportunity you don't often get with stones -- and that was to put together exactly the set I wanted from scratch. I decided on four surfaces: Coarse and fine India; soft and surgical black Arkansas. If you know stones, you know Indias are proprietary and made by Norton. You also know that the gold standard is the compound 8" IB-8. It's a stone with which most free-handers (including me) have a lot of familiarity. And that's what I got, along with one of Norton's new, spiffy case/stands. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shop/sear ... rds=norton

I knew I wanted a soft Arkansas to put the real edge on my knives; and either a hard, black or translucent Arkansas for polishing, because these would be a better compliment to the India stones than what I'd had before; a hand me down White Washita and hard Arkansas (brand unknown), and although they'd been refaced both had bad spots you had to work around. Washita is a little faster and takes a little less steel than a fine India, but basically it's a very similar stone. Besides, it's become almost impossible to find good Washita.

I did a lot of research on the Arkansas stones before I decided on Halls Pro-Edge soft and surgical black. http://www.hallsproedge.com/bench.htm Honestly, I went with Hall's because of their prices and they came recommended by someone I respect. Still, I was worried that they might have been "too good to be true." The choice of the surgical black was based on a recommendation by Richard Hall the owner of Pro-Edge. If you want really sharp kitchen knives, you want stones. If you use sharpening stones for your kitchen knives, you want both of these. My knives have sharper and more usefully beveled edges than any non-Japanese kitchen knives I've ever seen.

Diva Q said:
Ok then this is what I have purchased in the last year:

2 WSM's
1 Pro BBQ
1 Weber KEttle Gold
1 Traeger

1 amazing 8 x 3 ft banner

10 water pans that I like
12 probes (8 are mavericks)
24 BBQ brushes (got them on clearance)
15 bottles of sauces in Detroit
22 bottles of sauces from New York
10 cases of ribs to practice
40 chickens to practice
I can't remember how many butts or briskets but it is a lot
4 Napoleon rib racks

3- 10x10 shelters
1- 10x 20 car garages
2-tents

24 black t-shirts
25 black transfers (I made my own shirts for family & friends)

Rubs well honestly I have lost count of how many I have bought mostly I make my own.

400 Jalapenos to make ABT's

4 BBQ books

6 folding tables
4 folding chairs

1 army cot

Honestly this list could go on forever but those are just my basics
You forgot a Partrige in a pear tree ;)

Chiles said:
Bill,
Did I mention that I blame you for all of this :D

You, and all the great folks here!

-Chiles

18.gif

fozzhg.gif

well Chiles.... you are officially hooked... now you will have to start shelling out hundreds of dollars in contest entry fees... you won't be able to keep cooked meat in your freezer cause people want to buy it... aaaaaaaand.. like I told you from the VERY beginning... You need a bigger cooker!... Wanna buy my 84 so I can get a 108?

Gary,
I'm not ready for a bigger cooker yet. I was approached on Monday about catering a wedding for 30 to 40, and am already getting bookings for friends parties in October.

I'm not ready to do this for money yet. It takes 6 hours to set up, 12 to cook and serve and another 6 to clean up. That includes getting the meat, hooking up the cooker, driving, etc. I am already working 50 hour weeks out of town and have to deal with that travel schedule. I'm flattered, but just not ready for catering. Maybe I'm just scared.

To this point, if friends want me to cook, I have to have their time commitment for the entire process. That way they see the work involved and they take responsibility for the quality of what is served. I'm simply doing it for fun and experience.

We will see how far this goes, but I am planning to attend a cooking and judging class in the very near future.

Chiles

Chiles said:
Gary,
I'm not ready for a bigger cooker yet. I was approached on Monday about catering a wedding for 30 to 40, and am already getting bookings for friends parties in October.

I'm not ready to do this for money yet. It takes 6 hours to set up, 12 to cook and serve and another 6 to clean up. That includes getting the meat, hooking up the cooker, driving, etc. I am already working 50 hour weeks out of town and have to deal with that travel schedule. I'm flattered, but just not ready for catering. Maybe I'm just scared.

To this point, if friends want me to cook, I have to have their time commitment for the entire process. That way they see the work involved and they take responsibility for the quality of what is served. I'm simply doing it for fun and experience.

We will see how far this goes, but I am planning to attend a cooking and judging class in the very near future.

Chiles

Foooooooooooooodsaver!!!! buy one.. twill be your friend... I cook lots at one time and foodsaver in 4 lb packs.. I can't keep it in my freezer.

I already own two Foodsaver Sportsman models and use them all the time. I already figured out that if I am going to fire up the Lang, I might as well fill the grill space because it's no extra effort to cook two butts on it as it does six. You might as well fill the rest of the space with ribs. I cut the ribs in half and put the in the food saver then in the freezer.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to making the mods to the WSM and cooking on one for the first time this weekend. Not sure what I am going to be cooking yet.

-Chiles

Back
Top Bottom