Is there anything SADDER looking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
NO I don't mean Larry! I was catering a grad party yesterday and really realized just how BAD pulled pork looks after about 10 minutes in a chafing dish!

Woody you should cook it before you put it in the chaffing dish :roll:
PM me ......I'll give you all the info ;)

When I'm pulling pork, I always pull it into a little sauce; then when I plate, which largely means putting Mr. Brown around the outside, and building a pile of Ms. White in the center, I also lightly coat with sauce. The moisture (and the oil) from the sauce helps keep the meat glistening and attractive.

Mid-Carolinas Dijon Mustard Sauce for Pulled Pork:

2 cups cider vinegar
3/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup corn oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
[optional] 1/4 cup bourbon, rum, or brandy
2 tsp hot sauce (preferably Bufalo chiptotle or Tabasco chipotle)

Use the blender and add things in any order you damn please, as long as the oil is last.

I got this recipe from a then girlfriend in the mid seventies. She's from Savannah, and was educated in New Orleans. Her mother was from Atlanta. How or why this is supposed to be mid-Carolinas I don't know. I can't recall whether she said Crystal or Red Rooster hot sauce, but as you can see that whatever it was has been superseded by my California reality.

I grew up in the piedmont section of North Carolina and I have never heard of no Mid-Carolina sauce. And I have NEVER, let me repeat that, NEVER come across no sauce that contained Dijon and Mayonnaise in it's ingredients that came from the Carolinas. Musta missed that some where's along the way.

But I would agree. Pulled pork does look a little sad after it's been in the dish a while. I usually wait for it to start looking that way and then add a little sauce to it to moisten it back up. Especially for the larger parties when the line seems to go for a while.

Tim

boar_d_laze said:
When I'm pulling pork, I always pull it into a little sauce; then when I plate, which largely means putting Mr. Brown around the outside, and building a pile of Ms. White in the center, I also lightly coat with sauce. The moisture (and the oil) from the sauce helps keep the meat glistening and attractive.

Mid-Carolinas Dijon Mustard Sauce for Pulled Pork:

2 cups cider vinegar
3/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup corn oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
[optional] 1/4 cup bourbon, rum, or brandy
2 tsp hot sauce (preferably Bufalo chiptotle or Tabasco chipotle)

Use the blender and add things in any order you damn please, as long as the oil is last.

I got this recipe from a then girlfriend in the mid seventies. She's from Savannah, and was educated in New Orleans. Her mother was from Atlanta. How or why this is supposed to be mid-Carolinas I don't know. I can't recall whether she said Crystal or Red Rooster hot sauce, but as you can see that whatever it was has been superseded by my California reality.

Sounds like a good sauce. Mind if I put that in the BBQ Central Cook Book?

If you do Bill, could you please change the name of the recipe as it is in no way, shape or form a "Carolina" style sauce. Even by Rich' own admission. Unless you count the mustard style sauces of Saouth Carolina. But even those don't call for mayonnaise. I'd just hate to see the good name on real Carolina 'Que be miss-represented like that. I'd say that this sauce is more of a fusion of a Geaorgia and Alabam style sauce.

Tim

CarolinaQue said:
If you do Bill, could you please change the name of the recipe as it is in no way, shape or form a "Carolina" style sauce. Even by Rich' own admission. Unless you count the mustard style sauces of Saouth Carolina. But even those don't call for mayonnaise. I'd just hate to see the good name on real Carolina 'Que be miss-represented like that. I'd say that this sauce is more of a fusion of a Geaorgia and Alabam style sauce.

Tim

How about "boar_d_laze's ex-girlfriend from Savanna GA sauce"?

As long as you put the boar_d_laze name on it somewhere, it's jake with me. I wouldn't care, but I'm writing a cookbook and that puppy's already in it.

The point in including the Atlanta - Savannah connection was to highlight my own dubiety about the whole mid-Carolinas thing. To my mind it's a vinegar-mustard sauce looking to marry a doctor.

That having been said, it's a) a damn good sauce; and b) dijon mustard is a lot more like what actual mustard was like pre-war than the sunny-yellow baseball stuff we use today -- don't get me wrong, I like it too sometimes -- which we now associate wtih Carolinas mustard sauces.

My current girlfriend/wife/SWMBO grew up in South Carolina, and she loves this sauce. It's got to the point where that's pretty much all we use for pulled pork.

Rich

It's not the mustard that knocks it out of the Carolina Sauce association, it's the mayonnaise.

And yes, I understand that there is a bit of mayonnaise in dijon mustard.

Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom