Is chicken wire necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monty3777

Senior Cook
I am doing a 150 lb hog this weekend. I am doing it in my off-set (head and some of the legs removed). I will need to turn the hog so that the meat cooks evenly. Will I need chicken wire (to wrap the hog for ease of turning) or will Two of us be able to move the thing without it falling apart?

Well I have been studying about this deal for quite a while. I have about come to the conclusion since the po porker is already minus his haid and some of his feets..why not just go ahead and quarter it up and cook its various parts to temps which they need to go. There would no chicken wire required on that deal. Just trying to think of all the angles on this wire vs no wire dielemma. Now if there is some grotesque reason a person might want to keep the po hawg's torso intact so folks can gawk at it..I might vote for the wire strategy cept all the chicken wire I ever seen is galvanized and all these folks start naggin when somebody brings galvanized metal up to cooking temps whilst it is hanging around food. I just don't know whut a mother is supposed to do. Next time..buy a little bitty hawg and cook it whole for the gawkers (dont need wire) with the head and feet on it. Ball of tinfoil in his mouth and a couple of big cateye marbles in his eye sockets. Then you cook up a bunch of butts to feed the people. Now that is how the big boys do it according my exspurt hawg cooking pal aka Pigman Jim. Hope this helps. Blessings on your cook session. I'm sure you will find the truth around here somewhere.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom