Is "barbecueing" a verb or a noun?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dledmo

Sous Chef
Just want to get some opinions here. I was on another forum and I made a post relating to barbecuing vs. grilling. This is a response I got:
"Not to reopen that argument (boy, have we had it before) but "barbecue" is not a verb.

Barbecue is the stuff that goes into your mouth. Grilling is one of the ways you prepare it. "

I'm just curious if this is kind of one of those "which neighborhood are you from" things, different things mean different things depending upon which area you are in.
I don't want to start anything with the other poster, I have seen that Internet battles are pretty much pointless, I want to hear what people who are the people I most respect about barbecue have for an opinion.

Yeppers it one of them compound words. If you are fixing to bbq something that is a verb. If you are fixing to eat some bbq thats a noun. Grilling don't have anything to do with it unless you are slow grilling then it factored into the equation and considered the same as above. To get slow grilling to qualify as bbq there has to be a lot of space twixt the fire and the meat. I like about 3 or 4 feet personally but that can vary on the size of the fire. Little fire at a shorter distance works too. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Actually, I think it could also be an adverb as in barbequed chicken.

Cap'n, as to you coming up here, I don't see you leaving Myrtle Beach any time soon. Especially coming to Alaska now, what with winter starting to come on.

Man I bet he would enjoy snuggling up under some caribou blankets with guv'nor Sarah. Dont think the frigid weather would hinder that operation much. When it Springtime in Alaska its 40 below ya know? Johnny Horton said it. It got to be right. At them temps winter has got to be warmer than spring.

bigwheel

well you owe me a round of drinks, so I might just
put on my snowshoes and start trekking.

You know when I go to Alaska, the bears put their
food in the trees.

Well not trying to be overly redundant yet again here but grilling can be bbq in my view. Just depends on the size of the fire and distance from it. Now no doubt those proud owners of offset creosote factory log burners sometimes have difficulty with the physics of the proposition :shock:

bigwheel

Down here in NC barbecue is only a noun and it's always smoked whole hog or shoulders. No such thing as "pulled pork", it just barbecue. Ribs are ribs and brisket is brisket.

I spent a summer in Colorado and was invited for "barbecue". When I got there they had hot dogs and hamburgers and I never fixed a plate. The host asked me after awhile why I wasn't eating and my response was "I'll just wait until the pig is done". They all got a good laugh at that.

dledmo said:
Just want to get some opinions here. I was on another forum and I made a post relating to barbecuing vs. grilling. This is a response I got:
"Not to reopen that argument (boy, have we had it before) but "barbecue" is not a verb.

Barbecue is the stuff that goes into your mouth. Grilling is one of the ways you prepare it. "

I'm just curious if this is kind of one of those "which neighborhood are you from" things, different things mean different things depending upon which area you are in.
I don't want to start anything with the other poster, I have seen that Internet battles are pretty much pointless, I want to hear what people who are the people I most respect about barbecue have for an opinion.

It's a religion ;) :LOL: 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom