Input on Tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeeRich

Sous Chef
Hi folks. Yet another general question, but I think it would be a great thread.

I'm in the market for an electric knife. Of course, you guys know better than the local guy in a hardware store. What electric knives should I consider?

For that matter, how about a set of tools that helps you move forward? I'm also looking for a way to light my charcoal AFTER it's in the WSM. I have a chimney, but she's coughing out ambers and my deck is getting burned in places. Not good. So I need an alternative method. Handheld blow torch for now.

I am also trying, as an experiment, to make my own thermometer for 4 internal meats, and a chamber temperature, which controls air flow. We'll see how far I get.

Love to get your input.

Cheers

Two good questions BeeRich, I'll be following this thread. I'm in the market for a weed burner and a knife would be nice too. BBQ is a license to spend more money, I love it :D

I just bought a small propane tank electric torch starter thingy. I can keep it on, so I'm thinking I can poke it into the vent hole of the WSM for 2 minutes to get charcoal going. Quite a nifty tool actually.

HEre's an option for the lighting issue if you aren't in to weed burners...it's called the LoofLighter and was debuted at the HPB Expo a few weeks back...here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... er&x=0&y=0
[youtube:3hpzvqsa]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7Lm6_bCf0[/youtube:3hpzvqsa]

If you want a weed burner and you have a harbor Freight by you, I would go get one...I love mine and it was $20 or so. Here is a link to their website otherwise (this is the one I have...but they do offer a $40 version with autolighter):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91033

Best electric knife for bbq slicing comes from the fishing section of Academy Sports where they pose as fish filet knives. Several brands available which will work off house current 12 volt and rechargeable. Which one you need depends on how much and where you need to slice..whether you have electricity handy etc. Seems like Mr. Twister and American Angler are both on the approved list. Get the one with the curved scimitar shaped blade. Dont get the one with a straight blade. Best bet for trying to start charcoal in a R2D2 at home is an electric fire starter. About 15 bucks at Wally World...Target etc. For comp cooking you need a propane flame thrower from Harbor Freight as mentioned above.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... 01866-1206

bigwheel

There were two fishing blades here, but I thought that was strange. Every one I've seen in competitions are indeed straight. Why the curved one?

Rapala is not on the approved list. In fact the store clerk at Academy and several comp cooks who favor the gizmos tole me don't buy that brand. Hopefully they are full of caca and it will turn out to be the Lincoln Town Car of electric fish filet knives. Best of fortunes to ya.

bigwheel

Your approved list only serves people living in the United States. Sorry, no can do. There's a whole world out there.

Well can surely understand the inherent limitations of those residing in furrin countries. Had a bloomin Aussie cyber pal once upon a time who just had to have a fancy Polder electrical temp gauge from Amazon.com. They sent it to me and I sent it to him. Little extra on the shipping but not too bad.

bigwheel

Hardly foreign. We're Canada. Your chosen products just don't take advantage of a market with more fish. We pay on shipping and taxes to bring it in. That's why we choose to look domestic for presence of people in the market.

Now I would take it maybe Rapalas is made in your neck of the woods eh? That is the only kind the guv'ment let you buy maybe?

bigwheel

No it's not about government allowing anything. It's about who decides to market their products here. BTW, just used it and it's golden.

Well glad to hear it seems to be a good choice. Know their regular fixed blade filet knives have been real popular for a long time.

bigwheel

Them type of knives do have their adherents. Gordon Bevill (Gordo) from down around Jouston uses one so that is a purty good endorsement for a product since that is the winningest comp bbq boy you ever seen. I bought one which run on 12 Volt of the American Angler persuasion. Was always aiming to use it but neva quite got around to it. Wound up giving it away to the eldest male of the chillins. He is a hunting and fishing nut. Think he wore it out on fish.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom