Injecting pork butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm sure this has been brought up here before.
I picked up some butts for $1 apound, iv'e done butts before & they came out good.
What doe's everybody think about injecting?
Not just butts, but any type of meat.

Puff you can certainly inject your butts, no problem alot of people do. I've done it before and didn't notice a substantial difference, just my .02 though. Make sure those butts you got are not enhanced before you go injecting, you may end up making them super salty.

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff you can certainly inject your butts, no problem alot of people do. I've done it before and didn't notice a substantial difference, just my .02 though. Make sure those butts you got are not enhanced before you go injecting, you may end up making them super salty.
Enhanced?

Puff said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Enhanced?

Look at the package, if they say "tender and juicy", "self basting" or the "sodium content is about 100mg" they're enhanced.

Puff said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Enhanced?

You might think that a guy with 1,040 posts would know what enhanced means. Oh well, maybe another 1,000 posts he'll catch up. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Bruce B said:
Puff said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3i3mabpv]Puff you can certainly inject your butts, no problem alot of people do. I've done it before and didn't notice a substantial difference, just my .02 though. Make sure those butts you got are not enhanced before you go injecting, you may end up making them super salty.
Enhanced?

You might think that a guy with 1,040 posts would know what enhanced means. Oh well, maybe another 1,000 posts he'll catch up. :grin: :grin: :grin:[/quote:3i3mabpv]

All he's been doing is enhancing his post count. :razz:

Bruce B said:
Puff said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1sm7mzs0]Puff you can certainly inject your butts, no problem alot of people do. I've done it before and didn't notice a substantial difference, just my .02 though. Make sure those butts you got are not enhanced before you go injecting, you may end up making them super salty.
Enhanced?

You might think that a guy with 1,040 posts would know what enhanced means. Oh well, maybe another 1,000 posts he'll catch up. :grin: :grin: :grin:[/quote:1sm7mzs0]

But I doubt it! =D> #-o :grin:

I also use Lilly's marinade. Makes a pretty good product. I use John Willingham's marinade as well with good results. Plain old apple cider or juice is common. Look through your Wally and find the hispanic aisle. There is a good selection of nectars. Mixed with some other liquid like ginger ale can be fun too.

Good Q!

Jack

To,
Brian j
Nick
Scotty
Bryan s
and Bruce
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

If you guys are done now :)
I would really like some input on this, i'm not a pro like most of you :!:
I know most of the question's and/or answer's I give are mostly off,slightly :eek: .
In this part of the forum I would hope I would gain the knowledge I need :!:
I have a stack of tips and recipes already :!:
Believe it or not I do take this seriously :!:

Puff said:
I know most of the question's and/or answer's I give are mostly off,slightly :eek: .

Paul,
Honestly injecting is no different than anyother part of BBQ'ing, (ie., foiling vs. not, sand vs. water, cold meat vs. room temp meat), it's a matter of taste. Some people inject, some don't. Check out some recipes on line and either try one of those recipes or make a concoction of your own and go from there. Or better yet buy a store bought marinade, Stubbs is a good one, just strain it before you put it in the needle. You may think end up thinking injecting is the best thing since sliced bread, then again you may feel it doesn't make enough difference to worry about. Bottomline is, you'll never know till you try. It's definitely not going to screw up your meat, so give it a shot!! Hope this was close to the answer you were looking for. Good luck!

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:

Paul,
Honestly injecting is no different than anyother part of BBQ'ing, (ie., foiling vs. not, sand vs. water, cold meat vs. room temp meat), it's a matter of taste. Some people inject, some don't. Check out some recipes on line and either try one of those recipes or make a concoction of your own and go from there. Or better yet buy a store bought marinade, Stubbs is a good one, just strain it before you put it in the needle. You may think end up thinking injecting is the best thing since sliced bread, then again you may feel it doesn't make enough difference to worry about. Bottomline is, you'll never know till you try. It's definitely not going to screw up your meat, so give it a shot!! Hope this was close to the answer you were looking for. Good luck!
Thank you sir :grin:

Puff, do 2 butts at the same time, one injected and one not. Rub them both with the same rub and cook at the same time. Then invite the neighbors over and ask which they like better.

brian j said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":26lohres]Puff, do 2 butts at the same time, one injected and one not. Rub them both with the same rub and cook at the same time. Then invite the neighbors over and ask which they like better.

yea, but be sure to remember which is which. i did side by side butts over brisket. one wsm had sand in the water pan and the other had water. i pulled them from the cooker, wrapped them in foil and put them in a cooler but then forgot which was which. :) :) :)[/quote:26lohres]

The big question is: Could you tell any difference? 8-[

Hey Puff - Easy boy! These guys are really funnin' with you and will usually come back with the straight anwser after the BS is done flying. :grin: I rarely inject my pork, but on the few occassions that I did it was straight pineapple juice, nothing more. Pour on the rub with extra brown sugar and smoke using hickory, pecan and oak. I finally used up all my peach wood.

Back
Top Bottom