inacurate thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Mine are accurate when I test them but I know one maverick probe that will pass the boiling water test but when in actual use it reads crazy numbers.

I'm with Greg on the thermopen. I use the other wireless thermos just to keep me in the temp ranges with the pit and food.

Would urge folks to forget all that high tech gadgetry. Best temp gauge in the world as far as pit temps go is the palm of your hand. Slap it on there in the general vicinity of where the meat is hanging out and it depends on how long can be tolerated till a person get and urgent need to move there hand. Count by Mississippis:

1 Missippii..time to cook steak 4 or 5 hundred or so.
2 Missippii..burgers and chicken 350 perhaps
3 Missippiees..bbq. Less that 300
4 Missippiees...making jerky or time to add some fuel apparently.

Now aint that easy peasy? Dont take good batteries or the good intentions of a Chinese person to build a high tech gadget to specs. See where I'm headed here?

bigwheel

bigwheel

You're right about the Mississippi test for the pit temp. I used that 35 years ago. But the digital probe is a nifty tool to have as well. I know that there's lots of other ways to guage the the internal temp of meat by touch but why not use the new tools. I mean otherwise why don't we have this conversation by Morse code (which by the way I am certified as proficient by the FCC to administer examinations for ham radio licenses). I like to use computers, digital cameras, digital thermometer, and all this new stuff. It keeps me young, well as young as a gray haired fat old lawyer can be.

Hey now your playing my song with this Morse Code stuff..some of we'uns happen to be old Boy Scouts plust my left wing big brudder was the radio man on the Oriskany. That an old fashioned Aircraft Carrier which got turned into the largest man made fishing reef in the world not too long back. He know all that dah diddy dah dah stuff way mo betta than me. The Navy apparently went into the lingo in a little mo detail than we got in Boy Scouts :LOL: Fact is I own one of the electric gizmos which runs on batteries and come from Williams Sonoma. Tole the warden I did not want no junk like that for Christmas one year...but musta been a good boy cuz they seen her coming and she only paid a few thousand bucks for it or thereabouts. I trust it about as far as a person could throw a full grown Moose or Moosette. Kindly dont make me splain all the pros and cons about it. Will assure the cons will win:)

bigwheel

I like my thermapen for checking the internal temp of what's cooking, but use Taylors to monitor the temp at the grate. My teammates, for whatever hairbrained reason, do not like my thermapen. Men can be so strange.

Oh, and Griff . . . you refer to yourself as a 'gray haired fat old lawyer' . . . I never noticed you to be fat ;)

Adrienne said:
I like my thermapen for checking the internal temp of what's cooking, but use Taylors to monitor the temp at the grate. My teammates, for whatever hairbrained reason, do not like my thermapen. Men can be so strange.

Oh, and Griff . . . you refer to yourself as a 'gray haired fat old lawyer' . . . I never noticed you to be fat ;)
He was wearing a loose fitting flannel... :LOL:

pshriver-thermos......

I haven't been on the forum long , yet I have been smoking a long time...
I am a rather purist and keep an eye on the food level temp. in the smoker. :?: I use the thru the pit therms by reputable makers or suppliers(mine is Tejas-I get a guarantee with them...) and as they sell them with their units ,they stand behind them 8)

I also have 3 probe therms. I have had for 2-3 yrs. ea.;I wipe them down after each use,I don't kink the wire to the probe,I don't let the wire get wet(rain) and I don't squeese them between pit lid and side.I also wipe down the 2-1/2 in. stems of the Tejas therms. Just like an auto... preventive maint.
I even go a step farther in when my smokers cool a bit, I wipe them out thus keeping the flakies off the side walls and cooking grate clean. Then I'll wipe the whole thing (inside and out )with Pam or a real lite oil. Keeps the paint looking good :P
When you spend a lot of $$$ on a good smoker(or car) you keep it up!!!

img_177333_0_f3be67c3512796fdfb6935a4408368e7.jpg

As for the meat, I can tell by Bone Pull, lifting , moving and site as to what my food is doing as far as typical smoking goes... however when I need to go to a med. doneness or a special meat,I pull out my pocket therm. Just me ;Just my way :!:

Well you started making sense in the last paragraph finally:) Hoping you pull out your Instant Read no batteries gauge from Wally World which is in the pocket. Now for the guy who implied I can't read will say I read real good..I just can't see good. Forget now who put it in cyberspace claiming that once a person hits 50 their eye sight dont normally get no worse. Can tell ya now that aint accurate. That dude/dudette is total fulla caca.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Forget now who put it in cyberspace claiming that once a person hits 50 their eye sight dont normally get no worse. Can tell ya now that aint accurate. That dude/dudette is total fulla caca.

bigwheel

Yep, who ever told you that was either not speaking the truth, or was ignorant of the truth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom