I'm sure this has been covered before but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justaguy

Sous Chef
I have a waterpan. I don't know if I should use sand, water, lavarock, or maybe could fashion some wired hybrid of the three. What do you all recommend?

I like water in the water pan less I'm going for some direct cooking then I leave it out. Depends a lot on which pit we speaking of too. On the R2D2 I always use water in the pan. On the big pit (much mo room in the up and down plane) but same principles involved...sometimes use one and sometimes dont. I think briskets do best with one..and ribs without. Can't tell much difference either way on butts. Turkeys to best with one. Always use a water pan when hot smoking sausage..gives the cases a lot softer bite than not using one.

bigwheel

Now how pray tell do sand introduce humidity into the pit environment? Which I think just about anybody would say is an impotent element in the bbq process. Just trying to get edumacated here:)

bigwheel

I'm cooking a butt as we speak (my first attempt). I went without the waterpan, and it looks good so far maybe I'll take a pic if I don't manage to screw it up.

Only two ways to screw up a butt (most folks think there is just one way) with number one being to cook it not long enough. That makes it tough..or mo betta dont give it time to tender up. The other way is to cook it too low and slow with energetic air flow. That turns it into some stuff the coonasses call Tasso. Very good flavoring meat but don't push and pull too well. Is sorta the cajun version of pig jerky. Ribs cooked in a similar fashion turn out the same way only mo boney. When going direct I like a lot of room twixt the meat and the fire. Only other option is to try to keep a real low fire burning..which aint no day on the beach by any means..which if your stuff comes out edible you will have learnt I think:) Best of fortunes on your endeavor sir.

bigwheel

Justaguy said:
I'm cooking a butt as we speak (my first attempt). I went without the waterpan, and it looks good so far maybe I'll take a pic if I don't manage to screw it up.

I think you'll be alright. Just make sure to wrap it in foil and then into a couple of towels after you hit your desired temperature and let it sit for an hour or more. I think i've been pullin mine out at 190* to 195* range if that helps.

Hillbilly said:
I foil line mine an put water in it. Works fer me.

Woops i forgot to add ----- I add some apple juice and wolf rub / or whats in the cabinet in that foil. thanks Hillbilly!

bigwheel said:
Now how pray tell do sand introduce humidity into the pit environment? Which I think just about anybody would say is an impotent element in the bbq process. Just trying to get edumacated here:)

bigwheel
I'm just a Yankee so I don't know much about BBQ, but I've read that the drippings from the meat evaporating in the water pan produces enough moisture for the smoker.
I cook on WSM, with foil balls in the pan, the covered with foil, and have rarely had a problem with dry meat. Brian

Ok well as I've often said..some of the best pals I got in the world is yankees and exe's i.e. them who have come to their senses and moved to Texas:) We still have plenty of ammo down here last I checked. I will take your info in as factual and preach it from henceforth. Thanks.

bigwheel

I always cook with a water pan. I use it to help get a better smokering for appearance. (and don't even think about telling me judges don't look for it thats bs and we all know it).

There is science behind it. thats why I do it.

The drippings also would help but I like to hedge my bets as much as possible.

NO2 is highly water-soluble it absorbs much more readily into a wet piece of meat. So by introducing more humidity you have a greater likelihood that those things wil occur..

Back
Top Bottom