if you HAD to finish a butt in the oven/gas grill...... - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Pork Butt

if you HAD to finish a butt in the oven/gas grill......

.....at what point would you move it? first of all I hope this doesn't have to happen but given my track record with butts (see my old post if you want to hear about a 24 hour butt) I may have to do this. I'm doing a couple butts starting friday night and have to get all the ribs on by noon saturday. even with the mods my chargriller can be a pain the you know what! looking back I wish I got a WSM.

anyway so if you HAD to move to the oven or gas grill when would you do it? after the plateau or during it? I assume after and I assume it won't matter that much as it'll still be cooking low and slow and the smoke flavor will be there.

gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
BBQ Central College

I don't think it matters much. Fact is that the temps will be the same (I'm assuming, here) in the oven and smoker so there is really nothing to worry about as far as temps.

The issue, as I can see it, is the development of bark and smoke penetration. I guess I'd wait as long as you can and then put it in the oven with no regrets when you have to. I have finished butts and briskets in a roaster and loved the results

Brinkmann Pitmaster

If there's a new way...I'll be the first in line...but it better work this time!
monty3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Pork Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777
I don't think it matters much. Fact is that the temps will be the same (I'm assuming, here) in the oven and smoker so there is really nothing to worry about as far as temps.

The issue, as I can see it, is the development of bark and smoke penetration. I guess I'd wait as long as you can and then put it in the oven with no regrets when you have to. I have finished butts and briskets in a roaster and loved the results

I should have made that clear. I will wait as long as I can to ensure a good bark and the smoke penetration should be long over.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Pork Butt

one more thing. I assume my mavrick thermometer will be ok in the oven as long as it's not too close to the heat source?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: if you HAD to finish a butt in the oven/gas grill......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon
.....at what point would you move it? first of all I hope this doesn't have to happen but given my track record with butts (see my old post if you want to hear about a 24 hour butt) I may have to do this. I'm doing a couple butts starting friday night and have to get all the ribs on by noon saturday. even with the mods my chargriller can be a pain the you know what! looking back I wish I got a WSM.

anyway so if you HAD to move to the oven or gas grill when would you do it? after the plateau or during it? I assume after and I assume it won't matter that much as it'll still be cooking low and slow and the smoke flavor will be there.
You can certainly finish the butts in the oven. However if you know you're going to be short on time you can just cook the butts at a higher temp from the get go, say 275-300 with the exact same results just with less cooking time.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #6

What temp are you cooking in the smoker at? What temp would you finish in the oven at? Why not just crank the smoker to the oven temp if your in a rush?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Pork Butt

I try to keep the smoker around 225-250 at the most. I was thinking 275-300 to finish in the oven if needed. as far as doing them at a higher temp from the get go that defeats the low and slow

I've cranked the temp in the smoker up once it hits the plateau but we know at the point it doesn't help. maybe I'll try 275 or so from the start but I'm just worried that's too hot for good pulled pork.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
I try to keep the smoker around 225-250 at the most. I was thinking 275-300 to finish in the oven if needed. as far as doing them at a higher temp from the get go that defeats the low and slow

I've cranked the temp in the smoker up once it hits the plateau but we know at the point it doesn't help. maybe I'll try 275 or so from the start but I'm just worried that's too hot for good pulled pork.
What do you think cranking the 'oven' up to finish them does???

You can do butts at higher temps from beginning to end and won't be able to tell a bit of difference than if you cooked them twice as long at lower temps.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #9

They will stop taking on smoke somewhere around 135-140* internal temp...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
BBQ Central College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Quote:

What do you think cranking the 'oven' up to finish them does???

You can do butts at higher temps from beginning to end and won't be able to tell a bit of difference than if you cooked them twice as long at lower temps.
Larry,
I've never tried them at anything higher than 250. How long is the cook at 300?

Brinkmann Pitmaster

If there's a new way...I'll be the first in line...but it better work this time!
monty3777 is offline   Reply With Quote