If you could add a couple ingredients to a rub....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

Sous Chef
lets take a very basic rub of salt, sugar, garlic powder, red pepper, & paprika. Keeping it simple, what one or two spices would you add for pork, chicken, and beef. I'm trying to help out some first timers with some ideas of simple but good rubs for each meat, Thanks for any help y'all give me, Tim

To build a base I would switch up a little, salt, sugar, chili pepper (choose the pepper you like gives lots of choices) black pepper, onion and garlic. From here you can change up based on meat.
Pork and poultry I like cumin.
Beef celery.
From there I would add red pepper ( not much flavor but adjusts heat well).
Paprika again not much flavor but will allow you to adjust color as you like.

Jim

Uncle Bubba said:
Cinnamon. ;) :roll:

Cinnamon goes good with pork, if you use it right. From your recent results, it must be the latter in your case fat head.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Uncle Bubba":2uv2sau4]Cinnamon. ;) :roll:

Cinnamon goes good with pork, if you use it right. From your recent results, it must be the latter in your case fat head.[/quote:2uv2sau4]

Yep, you got that right...go with what got you there. Glad YOU said it, not me.

Uncle Bubba said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3oi637py][quote="Uncle Bubba":3oi637py]Cinnamon. ;) :roll:

Cinnamon goes good with pork, if you use it right. From your recent results, it must be the latter in your case fat head.[/quote:3oi637py]

Yep, you got that right...go with what got you there. Glad YOU said it, not me.[/quote:3oi637py]

You're the one that said and I quote "Can you please send some Wolfe Rub Original and I'll promote your products, cause that is what Bruce used in previous competitions that we did well in ribs". That's why I sent you 4lbs of Wolfe Rub and a banner for the Jack and the Royal, rememberr?? Not my fault you think it's too coarse and don't have the patience to use it correctly. There are a handful of other teams out there that use WRO on ribs and butts and consistently finish in the top 5 and one team in particular that was at the Jack and Royal as well as you and finished above you. So...........to make a long story short, they used what got them there and did well there too.........what's your excuse tubby? Next time you want free rub at least make it worth my while.

FYI...There was never a conversation about using it on butts, and I sure as hell never said "would you please...", I don't beg. It was used on ribs, which I didn't do, and it was used as sent. I ground some at home to try something you wouldn't understand nor will I get into on open forum(you can PM me and I'll tell you) if you want.

As far as someone finishing above me...God bless 'em. All my meat got ruined(bags leaked) at the Royal and I thought I cooked pretty well at the Jack. I will send you money for the rub. I think you make a good product and don't want to give the impression that our use of your product and hanging your banner was a stunt to get free rub. I'll never bother you again. Sorry.

Uncle Bubba said:
FYI...There was never a conversation about using it on butts, and I sure as hell never said "would you please...", I don't beg. It was used on ribs, which I didn't do, and it was used as sent. I ground some at home to try something you wouldn't understand nor will I get into on open forum(you can PM me and I'll tell you) if you want.
As far as someone finishing above me...God bless 'em. All my meat got ruined(bags leaked) at the Royal and I thought I cooked pretty well at the Jack. I will send you money for the rub. I think you make a good product and don't want to give the impression that our use of your product and hanging your banner was a stunt to get free rub. I'll never bother you again. Sorry.

WTF does that mean? Yeah it's coarse, that's the way it's meant to be and seems to work fine for people that don't like 'powder like' rubs. I didn't mind sending you the rub and was flattered that you asked for it and you said it did you well in the past. But for you to continue to bitch about something only when it doesn't work for you pisses me off. When YOU asked for it, it was working for you in competitions. When it didn't work for you, you all of a sudden have great ideas to make it better. Make up your mind whether you like it or not.

I realize not everyone is going to like my rubs, that's not a big deal to me. The people that like it as it is and continue to like it and buy it are important to me.

Also, why would I want to PM you about anything. If there's anything negative you have to say, please say it in an open forum.

Also, I don't want you to send me a dime. The money is not what this is about.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Uncle Bubba":3o212o9j]FYI...There was never a conversation about using it on butts, and I sure as hell never said "would you please...", I don't beg. It was used on ribs, which I didn't do, and it was used as sent. I ground some at home to try something you wouldn't understand nor will I get into on open forum(you can PM me and I'll tell you) if you want.

WTF does that mean? Yeah it's coarse, that's the way it's meant to be and seems to work fine for people that don't like 'powder like' rubs. I didn't mind sending you the rub and was flattered that you asked for it and you said it did you well in the past. But for you to continue to bitch about something only when it doesn't work for you pisses me off. When YOU asked for it, it was working for you in competitions. When it didn't work for you, you all of a sudden have great ideas to make it better. Make up your mind whether you like it or not.

I realize not everyone is going to like my rubs, that's not a big deal to me. The people that like it as it is and continue to like it and buy it are important to me.[/quote:3o212o9j]

It means that it was used coarse and that I didn't use the finer ground stuff I tried once (and didn't like it that way(finer) as I told you if you remember) at home. I never used the finer stuff in comps. If you haven't tried it...use it with some Blues Hog sauce...GREAT COMBO!!

When did I bitch? I bitch so much about so much(Witt taught me how ;) ) I have a hard time remembering but if I did it was probably only joking as i would never publicly or seriously bash your product that you put your heart and soul into to produce.

Uncle Bubba said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":4isb6u0a][quote="Uncle Bubba":4isb6u0a]FYI...There was never a conversation about using it on butts, and I sure as hell never said "would you please...", I don't beg. It was used on ribs, which I didn't do, and it was used as sent. I ground some at home to try something you wouldn't understand nor will I get into on open forum(you can PM me and I'll tell you) if you want.

I realize not everyone is going to like my rubs, that's not a big deal to me. The people that like it as it is and continue to like it and buy it are important to me.[/quote:4isb6u0a]

It means that it was used coarse and that I didn't use the finer ground stuff I tried once (and didn't like it that way(finer) as I told you if you remember) at home. I never used the finer stuff in comps.

When did I bitch? I bitch so much about so much(Witt taught me how ;) ) I have a hard time remembering but if I did it was probably only joking as i would never publicly or seriously bash your product that you put your heart and soul into to produce.[/quote:4isb6u0a]

Oh for Christ sakes, tongue kiss me and shut up.

Switch to sea salt, (stronger than table salt, you don't need to use as much) maybe cumin, white pepper, onion salt, granulated garlic is a great spice. no cinnamon down here in texas. I don't mind it but I won't add it. My .02 cents.

Big Ron said:
Switch to sea salt, (stronger than table salt, you don't need to use as much) maybe cumin, white pepper, onion salt, granulated garlic is a great spice. no cinnamon down here in texas. I don't mind it but I won't add it. My .02 cents.

Big surprise, if it doesn't taste like cumin it can't be from Texas! :LOL: I like cumin, but it's okay at times to have something without it! :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom