I need sme information. - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Graduate of BBQ Central


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 673
I need sme information.

As you all know I got a new toy for Christmas and it was a gas smoker my question is could I use sand in placed of the water in the water pan. I know that this is used on the wsm cooker and was thinking that it should work on the gas smokers as well. I got this smoke for sausage making and I don’t know if water is a good for sausage making.

Thanks,
Missing Link.
__________________

__________________
Have Fun and keep it Low and slow.


http://img42.exs.cx/img42/3756/licen...2659_10965.jpg
The Missing Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Pigs On The Wing BBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Akron New York
Posts: 6,922
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... &highlight
This is how I use mine.
__________________

__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
www.oinktoberfest.com
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Moderator
 
wittdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Seneca NY
Posts: 9,860
Link I wouldn't use water if you are planning on cold or cool smoking the sausage...the first heat cycle is to dry the casings......
__________________
Save the gas for the criminals Q with wood...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Re: I need sme information.

Well having run some extensive sausage smoking tests both with and w/o water in the pit...in my view a high moisture content in the smoke house is a good thing. Gives the cases a softer bite and helps moderate the heat. Not sure whut kind of setup you have acquired but would hazard a wild guess the main problem you are going to be facing is trying to keep the pit temps consistently in the lower ranges 175-180 and think the water would help more than sand in that regard. This heat range is generally considered optimal for what is normally called "hot smoking" or "smoke cooking." If for some reason you want to cold smoke..leave the gas shut plumb off and invest in a 10 buck Wally World hotplate mounted in the botttom..pie pan on top..wood chunks in the pie pan. This would provide smoke w/o much heat of course. You could also use the hot plate setup w/o wood the first hour or so to provide a little heat to dry the cases a bit afore you get down do smoke cooking em.

bigwheel



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Missing Link
As you all know I got a new toy for Christmas and it was a gas smoker my question is could I use sand in placed of the water in the water pan. I know that this is used on the wsm cooker and was thinking that it should work on the gas smokers as well. I got this smoke for sausage making and I don’t know if water is a good for sausage making.

Thanks,
Missing Link.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Pope O'Que
 
Smokey_Joe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Central Massachusetts
Posts: 2,378
Re: I need sme information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Well having run some extensive sausage smoking tests both with and w/o water in the pit...in my view a high moisture content in the smoke house is a good thing. Gives the cases a softer bite and helps moderate the heat. Not sure whut kind of setup you have acquired but would hazard a wild guess the main problem you are going to be facing is trying to keep the pit temps consistently in the lower ranges 175-180 and think the water would help more than sand in that regard. This heat range is generally considered optimal for what is normally called "hot smoking" or "smoke cooking." If for some reason you want to cold smoke..leave the gas shut plumb off and invest in a 10 buck Wally World hotplate mounted in the botttom..pie pan on top..wood chunks in the pie pan. This would provide smoke w/o much heat of course. You could also use the hot plate setup w/o wood the first hour or so to provide a little heat to dry the cases a bit afore you get down do smoke cooking em.

bigwheel



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Missing Link
As you all know I got a new toy for Christmas and it was a gas smoker my question is could I use sand in placed of the water in the water pan. I know that this is used on the wsm cooker and was thinking that it should work on the gas smokers as well. I got this smoke for sausage making and I don’t know if water is a good for sausage making.

Thanks,
Missing Link.

woooo hoooo a post from Bigwheel in real English!....yowza!

just kinding...I knew you had it in ya.
__________________
JFOA

The weather is here.... wish you were beautiful

Imagine my disappointment if i were here to make you happy
Smokey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
Master of All
 
ScottyDaQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In ur house, eatin ur foodz.
Posts: 7,490
Re: I need sme information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_Joe
woooo hoooo a post from Bigwheel in real English!....yowza!

just kinding...I knew you had it in ya.
NFW!!!.... musta been Copy/Paste.

Kidding Jeff.
__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker ?
Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold ?
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Well I gots a good command of the Queens English when I wants to use it. Just try to keep sharp on the Foat Wuth eubonics so if I happen to wind up outta gas over in Stop Six I bees able to comoonicate with em.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Well I gots a good command of the Queens English when I wants to use it. Just try to keep sharp on the Foat Wuth eubonics so if I happen to wind up outta gas over in Stop Six I bees able to comoonicate with em.

bigwheel
Just flash them a couple of $20's. They will understand you!
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
I usually flash em a Sig .40. They understands that purty well too

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
That would work even better!
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:48 PM   #11
Cooker
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
I usually flash em a Sig .40. They understands that purty well too

bigwheel
is that when it goes into my gun shoots faster than yours kinda deal?

and the soul bruthas break out the AKs?
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:21 AM   #12
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Ahhh they usually got RG .22's in this part o the world. Actually the best strategy is to dress up like a cowboy and they think you a po'po and cut you a path. Works for me..or has in the past. I been to many places which is normally considered off limits for honkeys. You see whut I'm saying here? Talks about good ribs..whew. They got the best.

bigwheel
__________________

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×