I need sme information.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
As you all know I got a new toy for Christmas and it was a gas smoker my question is could I use sand in placed of the water in the water pan. I know that this is used on the wsm cooker and was thinking that it should work on the gas smokers as well. I got this smoke for sausage making and I don’t know if water is a good for sausage making.

Thanks,
Missing Link.

Link I wouldn't use water if you are planning on cold or cool smoking the sausage...the first heat cycle is to dry the casings......

Well having run some extensive sausage smoking tests both with and w/o water in the pit...in my view a high moisture content in the smoke house is a good thing. Gives the cases a softer bite and helps moderate the heat. Not sure whut kind of setup you have acquired but would hazard a wild guess the main problem you are going to be facing is trying to keep the pit temps consistently in the lower ranges 175-180 and think the water would help more than sand in that regard. This heat range is generally considered optimal for what is normally called "hot smoking" or "smoke cooking." If for some reason you want to cold smoke..leave the gas shut plumb off and invest in a 10 buck Wally World hotplate mounted in the botttom..pie pan on top..wood chunks in the pie pan. This would provide smoke w/o much heat of course. You could also use the hot plate setup w/o wood the first hour or so to provide a little heat to dry the cases a bit afore you get down do smoke cooking em.

bigwheel

The Missing Link said:
As you all know I got a new toy for Christmas and it was a gas smoker my question is could I use sand in placed of the water in the water pan. I know that this is used on the wsm cooker and was thinking that it should work on the gas smokers as well. I got this smoke for sausage making and I don’t know if water is a good for sausage making.

Thanks,
Missing Link.

bigwheel said:
Well having run some extensive sausage smoking tests both with and w/o water in the pit...in my view a high moisture content in the smoke house is a good thing. Gives the cases a softer bite and helps moderate the heat. Not sure whut kind of setup you have acquired but would hazard a wild guess the main problem you are going to be facing is trying to keep the pit temps consistently in the lower ranges 175-180 and think the water would help more than sand in that regard. This heat range is generally considered optimal for what is normally called "hot smoking" or "smoke cooking." If for some reason you want to cold smoke..leave the gas shut plumb off and invest in a 10 buck Wally World hotplate mounted in the botttom..pie pan on top..wood chunks in the pie pan. This would provide smoke w/o much heat of course. You could also use the hot plate setup w/o wood the first hour or so to provide a little heat to dry the cases a bit afore you get down do smoke cooking em.

bigwheel

The Missing Link said:

Thanks,
Missing Link.

woooo hoooo a post from Bigwheel in real English!....yowza!

just kinding...I knew you had it in ya. ;)

Well I gots a good command of the Queens English when I wants to use it. Just try to keep sharp on the Foat Wuth eubonics so if I happen to wind up outta gas over in Stop Six I bees able to comoonicate with em.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I gots a good command of the Queens English when I wants to use it. Just try to keep sharp on the Foat Wuth eubonics so if I happen to wind up outta gas over in Stop Six I bees able to comoonicate with em.

bigwheel

Just flash them a couple of $20's. They will understand you!

bigwheel said:
I usually flash em a Sig .40. They understands that purty well too:)

bigwheel

is that when it goes into my gun shoots faster than yours kinda deal?

and the soul bruthas break out the AKs?

Ahhh they usually got RG .22's in this part o the world. Actually the best strategy is to dress up like a cowboy and they think you a po'po and cut you a path. Works for me..or has in the past. I been to many places which is normally considered off limits for honkeys. You see whut I'm saying here? Talks about good ribs..whew. They got the best.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom