I must be out of my MIND!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
8.gif

It was 10* when I cranked up the WSM's at 6am to put on 8 butts. It is 14* now and I have 6 racks of ribs and a brisket on as well.

I should have just gone ahead and entered the Frozen Few contest.

WHAT THE H#&^ was I thinking?
6.gif

I know what you mean. I greilled a couple of steaks yesterday at 14*. Damned glad it wasn't a long cooking thing like yours.

bknox said:
Warm wimpy lightweight, thats me. Maybe when the temps get back into the 30's I will fire it up to regain some respect. :D
In the what...come on..it's never to cold to Q

Witt,

Believe me, after being involved with this forum, I know it is never to cold to Q, if you are ribs or a nice butt.:shock: ( I wrote nice butt!) But it is often to cold for me.

I am beginning to feel guilty about my wimpiness in cold weather. Now I may have to Q something before you guys loose all respect you may have had. :D

To me this weather is more beer making weather than Q'n. :D I am going to apologize in advance for that.

Come on bknox..you can do it...make beer and Q....I have a beer making kit in the atttic..one of these days I need to take a look at.

So Bill,
Does beer freeze at that temp?

Sunday (15 degrees wind chill factor 7 degrees), I brined two whole chickens and the water froze in both pots. I think the salt content kept it from freezing solid. By 6pm, I fired up my OTS with a chimney 1/2 Kingsford and 1/2 Lump. It did the job barely. Took about an hour and most of the coals had gone to ash and not much heat. Since I'm too cheap (so far) to invest in two Weber chicken stands, I have to do them one at a time. So, I reloaded with two chimnies of charcoal for the second bird. It was doing mighty fine for a while. Unfortunately, the Packers game was too close and I lost attention in my bird. I pulled it at 208 degrees and the charcoal could have easily have done another bird.
So, what I learned is (as Bruce has said many times), learn my equipment. In this case, I learned that 1.5 chimneys would have been good and pay more attention, like every other first down I should check my chicken temps. I'll invest in an extra chicken holder AND a wireless thermometer so I can stay warm while my chicken cooks. The brining helps some, but not with a temp that high. I took pics, but with no card in my camera, I didn't realize i left it at work until I tried to preview. If anyone knows how to get a Rebel XTi to warn me BEFORE I take pics that my card is out, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll read the owners manual. So sorry the worst chicken of my life and no pics. Amy said she smelled it from upstairs (and it was only in the house for a few minutes).

As for the FF Contest, we STILL have snow on the ground. It is more like ice at this point since it keeps refreezing every night.

Bruce B said:
Why don't you guys send some of that heat up this way...it's 7º this morning.
11.gif

You guys didn't go negative on Sunday? I just assumed everyone north and west of Cleveland pretty much was hating life.

Back
Top Bottom