I haven't done this in 25 years! Help with cooking time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o2bnMaine

Assistant Cook
Hi! My wife and I have been telling each other we want to do a pig roast, so it is finally time! In the past, I did a pig a LA primitive... with just a spit and spritzer. It took quite awhile to do 120 pounds that way, but it worked fine. This time I have a half pit I will be using. With this change I'm not sure how long it will take. And, with over 100 people coming I want to be sure I'm close on cooking time! We ordered a 120-130 pounder this time. Between the kids and vegan protesters we figure we'll have enough to go around.

https://goo.gl/photos/JiK829N99rogHKM4A
JiK829N99rogHKM4A

Can someone weigh in on how long they think this will take? I would appreciate ANY suggestions as well.

Here's my current plan.

I've included a picture of the (almost complete) pit. I plan on putting another course along the back to make it flush with the standing cinder blocks that stick up.

I have some metal roofing pieces that I will cut to create a cover, side and front to fully enclose it. I recognize this isn't the same as a full pit though hence my question on cook time.

I plan on putting two fires in the pit corners.

Again, please redirect me if there's something I should change. The only I can't change is adding more bricks to make a full pit.

Thanks in advance. We are very excited to start a new July 4th tradition on our road in Maine!

Back
Top Bottom