I got me a wsm today from home depot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
I got a few question for the user of this smoker.

1 to season are not?
2 water pans is it better with water are send?

Well I hate to crawl in here since it specially addressed to them who use the gizmos..but since I am retired I stay bored a lot. Yes on the seasoning. That apply to all pits. Just squirt it down with PAM or its generic equivalency (or wipe it down with cheap cooking oil) not the firepan of course..and when it quits stinking cook a dead chicken or two. On similar contraptions I always just use water in the water pan. You also need a 55 gallon barrell to slip down over the top to insulate it and give it a home to live in when you aint using it. Makes a world of difference on a cold windy day if you aint fully shielded from the elements.

1 No need to season it. (Give her a test run to see how she holds temps. I've had two and they both cook differently.)
2 Sand for sure, holds better temps.
3 Congrats! Long time no see ML.
4 Good luck and keep us informed!

thanks.. I want a guru. I got it at home depot for 224.00 good price i thought... And the send i believe would worked better because of the apartment.. what does the foil do and how do you do it? by the way this is my divorce gift to my self. lol

Congratulations.

Yes, on the 18" WSM, that's a good price. If it's a 22" WSM, you stole it from them. :? ;)

I think that the foil is to help with the cleaning. You pull the greasy foil off and throw it away.

Have fun with your new toy, and cook yourself some good food. Don't forget though, there's some people around here that won't believe anything that you type if you don't take pictures and post them. Not saying that I won't believe you, but it sure keeps me from guessing.

BOB

I go with sand AND foil -- sand to act as a heat sink to keep the temp steady; foil on top to make cleaning a snap. One look at the slimy greasy water after your first cook will discourage further use.

Back
Top Bottom