I fired up the WSM for the first time in 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smokey Lew said:
Real pretty looking bird Larry. Did you cook it in the 250 degree range for 5 hours? I did ours at a high temp of about 350 in my WSM. It was a 14 lb. bird that was spatchcocked and brined for 24 hrs. The dang thing was done in 2 hrs. Had a nice flavor but the skin was as black as a crow. It kind of looked like a B-2 stealth bomber when it was done. Tasted real nice though.

Thanks for the injection brine recipe. I have another bird in the freezer that's going to get that treatment for Christmas.
I plan on baking one and smoking one for Christmas. Your turkey looks perfect. What range did you cook it in? Thanks.

Smokey Lew said:
Real pretty looking bird Larry. Did you cook it in the 250 degree range for 5 hours? I did ours at a high temp of about 350 in my WSM. It was a 14 lb. bird that was spatchcocked and brined for 24 hrs. The dang thing was done in 2 hrs. Had a nice flavor but the skin was as black as a crow. It kind of looked like a B-2 stealth bomber when it was done. Tasted real nice though.

Thanks for the injection brine recipe. I have another bird in the freezer that's going to get that treatment for Christmas.

Lew, cover the bird with foil when it reaches the desired color. Cover not wrap. $.02

Back
Top Bottom