I did a Practice for the frozen few satrting Sat. Night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodman3222

Senior Cook
I started up the smoker Saturday night in a practice run for the frozen few competition. It was a beautiful night. Clear sky. Tons of stars. No wind. Nice frost on the ground with temps started at 29 degrees. Just a great night to BBQ. I love the winter weather. I do more bbq in the winter than any other time of year. I did 2 briskest one was a 4 pounder and the other was 9 pounds. This was my first try at a brisket. Meat was nice and tender. I have to work on the dry rub. Need a little stronger flavor on the bark. Overall for a first try it came out very good. Usually I am not a big brisket eater because when ever I order it out it is tough and dry. Just once I have had a good brisket out at a restaurant. The briskets I had at the oinktoberfest when I was a table captain were pretty good. I did not foil until the brisket was done and I put in cooler to rest. No mopping either. Small brisket was done at 6:30 this morning other was done at 11:30. I am telling ya brisket for breakfast was real good.

Pictures are backwards in order. I am not sure why.

Nice ring on that brisket!
Looks like some definite competition for the "Frozen Few"!
- about thirty more degrees ;)

woodman3222...the brisket looks great.

I do have a question about the thermometer in the brisket. It looks like it is in the fat between the flat and the point...are you getting an accurate reading there?

Great job on the brisket, I agree with Puff, another 15 to 20 degrees colder will get you in the mood for the Frozen Few.

cleglue said:
woodman3222...the brisket looks great.

I do have a question about the thermometer in the brisket. It looks like it is in the fat between the flat and the point...are you getting an accurate reading there?

You are correct. I knew I had a long ways to go for temp. Just put it in for a quick read to see. I did not want to keep open and lose heat when taking picture. It was 6 degrees differant in temp from the meat. I need to get a faster thermometer for the cooler weather.

Back
Top Bottom