Hurricane Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airboss

Senior Cook
With the passing of Dennis approx 230 miles off our part of the coast, the mind turns once again to barbecue. Mrs Airboss and I stumbled upon a beauty 7 lb flat at BJ's and snapped it up. It seemd to be calling to us. I have all the coaching needed from son Greg but would still like to get the consensus of the brain trust. Here are some particulars: 7 lbs, electric H2O smoker, a rather thin fat cap when I compare it to others I've seen.

We'd like to slice this boy around 5 or 6 PM so we plan to start it around 6 or 7 AM. The rub, wood, etc. issues have been decided-no worries.

Muchas gracias

Airboss said:
With the passing of Dennis approx 230 miles off our part of the coast, the mind turns once again to barbecue. Mrs Airboss and I stumbled upon a beauty 7 lb flat at BJ's and snapped it up. It seemd to be calling to us. I have all the coaching needed from son Greg but would still like to get the consensus of the brain trust. Here are some particulars: 7 lbs, electric H2O smoker, a rather thin fat cap when I compare it to others I've seen.

We'd like to slice this boy around 5 or 6 PM so we plan to start it around 6 or 7 AM. The rub, wood, etc. issues have been decided-no worries.

Muchas gracias

Figure between 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes per pound. Since you have a fairly thin fat cap, do it fat side down and put a layer of bacon on top to help keep it moist. Foil around 160-165, cook to about 190. Let rest foiled, slice against the grain. Good luck and glad to hear the storm missed you guys!

Airboss said:
Thanks Larry. But won't that make the beef taste like bacon? Sorry to sound like such a dumb ass here.

You don't sound like a dumbass at all. But no it really won't effect the flavor of the meat. You don't necessarily have to go this route though. But since you're saying the brisket is trimmed of all of it's fat you won't have anything to help protect and baste the meat. Like I said it's not 100% necessary, just an aid for a moist finished product.

Incredible! I just finished the 7 lb'er and had a similar experience as Smokehouse. Put it on at 6:30AM and temps rose nicely with the usual and anticipated plateaus. Then at about 4:00 PM we came to the mother of all "all stops." Used a life line and called son Greg. He suggested foil until 185-190 then a cooler nap for at least 90 minutes. I am delighted to reprort his prescription was right on and the brisket was moist and it even had an imaginary smoke ring. Mrs Airboss and Sweet Cuppin' Cakes wolfed (Sorry Larry) it down. Brisket is the doctorate of barbecue, no doubt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom